webgrunt

One 3.5" tomato, numerous blossoms??

I checked my heirloom beefsteak tomato this morning. It has one green tomato, about 3.2" in diameter, but it's the only one. There are numerous blossoms on the plant, but none of them seem to be turning into tomatoes. Any ideas?

FYI: The plant is in a pot which holds about 1.5 to 2 gallons of soil. It's outside by a south-facing wall. I used some miracle grow granules to fertilize it, and gave it some iron as well. The leaves look healthy: no yellowing, curling, spots or those webby things.

Papa2mykids

Pot is way to small, but as long as it is watered plenty and fed................

How are you sitting in bees?

Plants need pollinators.

Start taping on the plant every so often near the blooms. this helps to loosen and spread pollen that the bees should be doing.

Ron

webgrunt

Papa2mykids wrote:Pot is way to small, but as long as it is watered plenty and fed................

Plants need pollinators.

Start taping on the plant every so often near the blooms. this helps to loosen and spread pollen that the bees should be doing.

Ron
Thanks! Yeah, we are able to get a fairly good yield from these little pots when we keep up with the watering and feeding.

I've never heard of taping. What kind of tape should I use?

webgrunt

webgrunt wrote:
Papa2mykids wrote:Pot is way to small, but as long as it is watered plenty and fed................

Plants need pollinators.

Ron
Thanks! Yeah, we are able to get a fairly good yield from these little pots when we keep up with the watering and feeding.

I've never heard of taping. What kind of tape should I use?
OH, sorry, I figured it out--a little typo, you meant tapping, right? Or did you mean taping little plastic baggies over the blossoms? I'm a real newbie at this. :-)

mbaker410

tapping as in shaking the plant. If I am not mistaken the pollen is inside of the blooms of the tomatoes so it is harder to pollinate but one method of loosing up the pollen is by shaking or tapping near the blooms.

I had a bunch of blooms on my plants and I am not sure how much it helped but I have been doing this to my plants once a day and I now have at least 3 green baby tomatoes that I can see so far.

Mike

webgrunt

Thanks, I'll try that!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”