serial_killer

Re: Soap

ggmary wrote:Just a small amount (a drop or two) because I read in Jerry Baker and other places that soap helps to "feed" plants by carrying the water further through dense or impacted soil. The soil I have in my yard is really dense and sandy....
That is somewhat correct- Mild dish/ hand soap is a surfactant, meaning it lowers the surface tension of the water (plant food) allowing the tiny parts of the roots to "break the plain" of the water droplets running down. You know when you have a really bone dry container plant and the water just runs right threw, it has to do with the surface tension of the water and the inability of the dry medium to uptake it, water is retained easier by the wet medium because there is already some liquid stored there. The new water dripping down will be attracted to the existing water once again because of surface tension. Watch droplets on the hood of your car, as they slowly move towards each other see how the edges reach out and touch each other and as it rolls down it collects more drops from its path, thats the surface tension trying to hold the water together. (the trail it leaves behind is gravity / friction working against the tension to pull it apart)

Remember the 4th grade science experiment where you float the paper clip on the waters surface by gently setting it there with a fork? Now try it with soapy water.

Ladybug027

Thank for the tip Soil, I have been reading up on azomite and although none of my local farm and gardens stores carry it I can get it on line. :wink: My question is which type of Azomite do you use. I found three to chose from, trace mineral amendment, granular and a powder. Also how do you use them, in your seeding stage, side dressing ect... Thanks again for the tip, azomite sounds like a great natural product.
soil wrote:I like to use azomite for preventing blossom end rot and other tomato deficiencies.

I grow san marzanos and they have a bad time with BER. well that was before I used azomite. it also makes the plants extremely healthy.

nathan125

Commonly in my area in the free section of craiglist there are adds for free sheet rock scrap, could one just get some sheet rock and soak it in a bucket of water and feed it to the plant or even till it in the spring if it's sitting there all fall/winter
?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”