anniejolly

tomato skins are tough and thick

This is my first endeavor in growing tomatoes. My cherry tomatoes are ripening but the skins are tough and thick. Any suggestions or insight.

Roger

I had the same problem last year with cherry tomatoes - I think the biggest problem with them developing thicker skins has to do with watering irregularaties or very hot summer conditions. The fruits develop thicker skins in an effort to conserve water.

Although I've noticed too that some varieties develop thicker skins than others. I planted a different variety this year, but I haven't gotten any ripe yet to test the difference.

anniejolly

Thanks. will see how they are later on this summer. where we are we do not have really hot weather....just a couple of days here and there. but if it is the variety, I will make sure next year I plant a different variety.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Anniejolly, there have been two VERY HOT spells here in the Bay Area recently. I monitor my Bernese Mountain Dogs for heat stress very carefully, but we were already committed to outdoor events on May 15 and 16 in Vallejo, so I know that it was over 100 deg. F on those two days in Vallejo, and over 90 deg. F in El Cerrito (I watered both morning and evening both days due to complete dryness of veg's). Maybe Greenbrae was also very hot then?

And then, last week, maybe the 18th through the afternoon of the 22nd it was very hot again. San Francisco set a record maximum temp on Thursday or Friday and it was 89 deg at 11:30 at night here in El Cerrito one evening. The fog returned Sunday afternoon (gracias a Dios) and now we're back into our usual pattern.

Your tomatoes might have gone into defensive mode, given these heat spells. Check to see whether their soil is dry, damp, or wet, too. Maybe liquid kelp will help them feel better, if the soil is dry or barely damp.

Best wishes.

Cynthia H.
USDA Zone 9/Sunset Zone 17

anniejolly

thanks. I kept a close eye on them during the heat spell. checking moisture of the soil. despite it all they may have gotten thick skinned due to the heat. I will look into the kelp. I really appreciate the feedback.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”