anyazzolino
Newly Registered

New Gardener / No tomatoes growing

Hello: I am very new to gardening and I have a very small garden growing in pots on my balcony. I have two tomatoe plants that are not producing fruit. I potted them in supersoil and they are about 6 months old. In addition, I have four corn plants and a number of herbs.

I water my tomatoes in the evening and they seem to be well in growth and color, but no tomatoes. Any suggestions/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

How have you been fertilizing?

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Do your plants have flowers? What is the pollenator population like around your place. And yes, an organic fertilizer will definately help.

anyazzolino
Newly Registered

Thank you. I have been using Best Tomoatoe and Vegetable Food. 6.10.10.

I do have flowers, but I'm not sure what a pollenator population is. Is this bees and other insects? If so, I have very few bees as I am on the 2nd story of a 3 story building.

I get strong morning and mid-day sun. The sun drops behind the building by around 1 p.m. in the summer and 1:30-2:00 in winter.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Opa may be on to something there. Perhaps hand pollinating with a Q-tip might help...

anyazzolino
Newly Registered

Great! Thank you both. I'll give these suggestions a try.

When pollenating with a qtip, am I simply rubbing a qtip fro one flower to another? Or, do I need to alternate plants?

Thanks much!

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You can do just one plant but, it would be best to alternate plants.

Next year, you may wish to have a few planters of some flowers such as bee balm, heather and such. These will attract bees and other pollinators to your balcony. A hanging basket with Fuschia always looks nice and it will also attract bees and other pollinators.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Always good ideas from Opa! :D

HG

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”