webmaster
Site Admin

How to Deter Deer

Just an announcement of a new article published on Helpful Gardener. How to Keep Deer Out of a Garden.

The article discusses options such as planting native plants, deer deterrents and fencing.

Please share any tips for keeping deer out of gardens here in this discussion. I would love to hear what has worked for you! :)

Thanks!

Roger

imafan26
Mod

I'm glad there are no deer here.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Deer for dinner!

Sic the dogs on 'em.

Good stout pellet bun, give em a shot in the butt.

Run out screamin and hollerin!

Get some Cherry Bombs. Deer? Light one and chuck it at him.

Toss a rock at 'em.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

When I lived on the lot out along the river, the darned raccoons would come up along the river then out into the corn patch and eat the corn. I took a length of cable and tied it down on both ends along the river side of the garden then put a pulley on it and tied a hound dog to the pulley with a short chain. He had the run of the length of the garden. He pretty well kept the critters out.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We have coyotes and deer. Deer bed down 20 ft from the garden but never bother the garden. Small barking dog is all it takes to keep deer away. Deer are close enough to the house coyotes will not come any closer so the deer are safe all night.

john gault
Green Thumb

Bring back wolves and cougars to the east coast. That'll thin the herd.

webmaster
Site Admin

There are a surprising number of cougars in Northern California. They pounce on joggers and mountain bikers now and then (because their swift motion triggers the cougar's predatory chase response). About five years ago one even descended into the culinary area of Berkeley, CA and was roaming the backyards.

Wolves I know nothing about. When predators are in short supply a sensible hunting program helps to keep the deer population in check.

imafan26
Mod

Well, you have to remember we are the ones invading their home.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”