pomerinke
Cool Member

How to save money growing tomatoes

16708349_1115530328573604_7945977487470845613_n.jpg
Okay, so maybe this won't actually show you how to save money. I just thought we could all appreciate a good laugh. Enjoy!

Asica

FB_IMG_1487226396095.jpg
Let see if this works

pomerinke
Cool Member

Thanks! I don't know why it didn't show up. It looked fine the first time I posted it. hahaha. :oops:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It did show up. I saw it when you first posted it. Something must have happened to it after that.

imafan26
Mod

I guess it is an advertisement and a comment that gardener's aren't doing it for the money, but for the love of gardening. However, you really cannot compare the difference it makes to eat something you have grown with your own hands compared to what you get in the store.

pomerinke
Cool Member

Oh absolutely. I personally think I'm in the hole on total cost.

Which doesn't bother me at all. I hope I become proficient enough to make it a financially sound hobby. But if I don't, I'm okay with that.

-edit: I'm in the hole, not "whole" haha
Last edited by pomerinke on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imafan26
Mod

I usually break even except on zucchini and some vining squash because the yield is not so great for the space they take. For tomatoes, the hard thing is to keep the birds from eating all of the big ones. The cherries usually produce enough that even if the birds take a few, I still get some. There have been some good tomatoes and some that really produced but did not taste very good, and some that were pretty awful. I am enjoying trying different ones and still hoping to find more good ones.

pow wow

One of my customers had a problem with my tomatoes last year. She had squirrels taking them. That has never happened to me and I live across the street. Thankfully after the plants were stripped of fruit by the squirrels, she managed to get a great second crop out of the plants.

pomerinke
Cool Member

I'm lucky that I don't think I have to worry too much about large pests, so I probably won't lose a crop. I'm about 99% sure there are not squirrels on my island.

pow wow

pomerinke wrote:I'm lucky that I don't think I have to worry too much about large pests, so I probably won't lose a crop. I'm about 99% sure there are not squirrels on my island.
Well don't let your guard down, it's that 1% that does it every time. lol

Asica

After having tomatoes all Summer long, my daughter would ask everything if the tomatoes that I was giving her at home came from the garden. She did not want to eat anything from the store.
I had problem with rats eating tomato.es. I cover the tomatoes with plastic containers, like the one that you get at Costco or TraderJoe's from fruits. It worked well for me. I just let that one tomato they bite.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Birds can be a problem. I have periodic population explosions of quail. They like ripe tomatoes.

It seems odd that deer will eat what we are told are toxic plants but I have had some problems with them eating both tomato and potato plants - but not recently.

Mostly, it is weather problems and there have been very few really bad tomato years. With enough room and enough plants out there, I usually have enough ripe fruit to make me tomato-happy :D.

One thing I have to remember is that if the weather beats up on the plants, they seem especially vulnerable to flea beetle attack ..! One, two punch. Oh, and the birds ... the chickadees are absolutely death on the horn worms. Plant some sunflowers for them. They will want to lay claim to those sunflowers months before there are any ripe seeds. Meanwhile, chickadee babies must be getting lots of caterpillars.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

In the beginnng of the season, the birds go after the tomatoes once they blush. After they get a taste for them they go after them green. If they are not good eating tomatoes the birds leave them alone and I usually pull them out. If the birds don't like them, I usually don't either.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”