Gardener123
Green Thumb

Large AWESOME YELLOW tomato varieties?

Mostly for sandwiches. At least a pound per tomato. Indeterminate preferred, but determinate is fine.

I don't know what I planted last year, but they were AMAZING on chicken salad sandwiches and hoagies.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Kellog's Breakfast might be a choice.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

tomc wrote:Kellog's Breakfast might be a choice.

That is a real tomato? Now I have to go google. :)

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Gardener123 wrote: That is a real tomato? Now I have to go google. :)
Yup its a nice big oblate yellow tomato. About the size you want. Indeterminate, regular-leaf yellow beefsteak.

imafan26
Mod

Yellow brandywine and Dr. Wyche's Yellow. If you like a more acidic tomato Amana orange is good.

Bicolors Hillbilly, Gold medal, Virginia sweets.

I am going to try anew one this year Lucid Gem from Baker seeds.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

Yellow and orange alphabetical: Aunt Gerties Gold,Dixie Golden Giant,Earl of Edgecombe, Huge Lemon Oxheart, Kellogg's Breakfast and its sister KBX, Yellow Kentucky Beefsteak, Lillians Yellow Heirloom, Ludmillas Yellow Giant, Nebraska Wedding, Golden Oxheart, Tangerine, Tom's Yellow Wonder. These I have grown and enjoy the size and flavor.

There are also some really good bi-colors (yellow and red) you may enjoy: Emma, Hillbilly, Lennie and Gracie's Kentucky Heirloom, Mammoth German Gold, Old Flame, Orange Russian #117, Virginia Sweets.

These are all heirloom/Open Pollenated tomatoes. If you have not heard of Kellogg's Breakfast you must be growing hardware store hybrids. When you get into heirlooms you will most likely never go back. Good luck next year.

imafan26
Mod

You missed yellow brandywine. I find that the colored tomatoes have a lot more depth of flavor and often the best tasting ones are deeply lobed or oxhearts. Heirlooms have lasted because they were good enough for people to keep growing them. There are some good modern tomatoes but they usually are not red, round, thin skinned, and keep well.

Like vidalia onions, the same variety of tomato may grow better for some people than others just because their soil and environment is different. There can be variation from batch to batch so there may be some inconsistencies. Then, there is the problems with getting the wrong seeds. People have different criteria for what they want a tomato to be. I can't usually get really big tomatoes even from the varieties that do produce 1-2 pounders. I don't care for the acidic tomatoes. I do like a thin skinned tomato that is firm and not mealy and it needs to be heat and disease resistent and be a good producer since I won't get any if the birds get their way.

I like brandywine, it has the best flavor but it is a soft tomato. It produces a large fruit so it does not produce that many. Brandywine does not keep well.

applestar
Mod

Yellow sandwich size tomatoes are difficult because so many of them taste bland -- or "mild" -- and in a sandwich you want a tomato that can stand up of to other sandwich fixin's and assert some good tomato flavor. With slices of truly assertive flavored tomatoes tucked in there, you could even skip the ketchup in a hamburger. Imho, you also want good meaty texture.

When you say "yellow" do you mean yellow skinned or yellow fleshed?

Often varieties categorized as "yellow" turn the color of orange by the time they are ripe. Sometimes they are called "gold" though that's not the color I would choose -- the color I might call "gold" is often called "amber" though thats not really the actual color either. Many that are listed as "white" turn yellow colored when ripe (Tomato nomenclature is kinda funny that way). Many of these are actually yellow "fleshed" on the inside.

Anyway, some "yellow" varieties were mentioned as outstanding or memorable in this old thread.

Subject: Tomato Tasting -- compare and share

imafan26
Mod

I guess what people consider to be really good tomatoes is very subjective and it depends on what you want from a tomato. I like tomatoes firm, sweet, with a thin skin and meaty. I do not like acidic tomatoes. I have gotten used to tomatoes having a flavor and now I don't really care for the bland ones, but I like the flavor to be subtle not strong.

Other people like tomatoes to be strong flavored and have a sweet tart taste.

Gardener123
Green Thumb

PaulF wrote:Yellow and orange alphabetical: Aunt Gerties Gold,Dixie Golden Giant,Earl of Edgecombe, Huge Lemon Oxheart, Kellogg's Breakfast and its sister KBX, Yellow Kentucky Beefsteak, Lillians Yellow Heirloom, Ludmillas Yellow Giant, Nebraska Wedding, Golden Oxheart, Tangerine, Tom's Yellow Wonder. These I have grown and enjoy the size and flavor.

There are also some really good bi-colors (yellow and red) you may enjoy: Emma, Hillbilly, Lennie and Gracie's Kentucky Heirloom, Mammoth German Gold, Old Flame, Orange Russian #117, Virginia Sweets.

These are all heirloom/Open Pollenated tomatoes. If you have not heard of Kellogg's Breakfast you must be growing hardware store hybrids. When you get into heirlooms you will most likely never go back. Good luck next year.

nope, not ever. only heirlooms.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”