taradal
Cool Member

Wilting leaves

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
I have 18 tomato plants, grown in large pots, and two of my Black Krims have limp, wilting leaves. It started with one or two branches, near the base of the plants, but now the wilting has progressed upward. I water morning and evening and the soil is quite moist, but it looks almost as if they aren't getting enough water. I've looked at some tomato disease photos, but they all show some discoloration, as well as limp leaves. My plants are dark green-no yellowing or spots, of any kind. It started with one plant, then the one next to it. I'm concerned that, if it's a disease, the others could become affected, as well. Ant thoughts?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are right that most tomato wilt diseases involve discoloration.

Wilting in otherwise healthy leaves in the presence of plenty of moisture is often a sign of root rot or other root disorders. There is plenty of moisture in the soil, but the roots can't take it up, so the leaves wilt just as if there were no water.

You need to pull one and examine the root system. Rotted roots will have an absence of little feeder roots and will be dark and mushy. If that is what you find, unfortunately, there is no treatment. You have to discard them immediately, to save the rest of your plants. Sanitize your tools with rubbing alcohol and re-plant in a different area of the garden. For plants in pots, discard all the soil and bleach the pots, then refill with clean fresh soil.

Were you watering morning and evening the whole time or just since the problem developed? Often when symptoms of root rot start, people start watering more, thinking their plant is wilting due to lack of water. That is exactly the wrong thing to do. Root rot is a fungal disease, but it only occurs in conditions of too much moisture, the soil staying too wet for too long.

applestar
Mod

Check also for a hole and saw-dust pile near the base of the main stem -- it could be potato stalk borer..

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

aah, yes. Good thought, applestar! I have been fortunate enough to never have a tomato plant attacked by any kind of stem borer, so I didn't think about that. If it had been a squash plant, that would have been my first thought! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Don't know if you are still around, taradal, or if you noticed it, but someone just wrote in

(here: https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... =4&t=69125)

about his wilting tomatoes and ascribed it to "Southern bacterial wilt disease." His picture looks a lot like yours and he is also in the deep South.

taradal
Cool Member

Oh my goodness, you are right! That is what mine looks like!! Still could be root root, as the symptoms are very similar. No sign, that I can see, of a stem borer. I have not yet pulled up the plant. It has some green tomatoes and I was going to see what happens. I drenched the soil with water with cornmeal and cider vinegar, in an attempt to attack the fungus. For a day or so, the plant seemed to rally, but now it's taken a turn for the worse, again. I am starting to agree, though, with the person who started that thread: it's quite possible that, in this part of the country, tomatoes should be more of a fall crop. We have had SO much rain,lately, as well as June temps in the 90s. A sure recipe for disease
:-(

taradal
Cool Member

I forgot to say that only one plant is affected, now. The other plant was not as bad, but came back, completely, after the cornmeal/vinegar bath.

erinschrahe
Newly Registered

Hello, new here, but I have read this thread and wanted to ask u, could u tell me more about this cornmeal and apple cider vinegar bath u speak about. I believe that I do to intact have a tomato plants with wilted leaves and doesn't seem to want to perk back up. It does although have quite a bunch of green tomatoes. Thanks

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”