ColinJ
Newly Registered

Help tomatoes with tough skins

Hello everyone I'm a newbie to this forum.
I have only being growing ( or trying) tomatoes for the last four years, the question I will ask you as beat many seasoned tomatos growers in my area,no one as been able to answer it, over the last four seasons I have tried to three different three varieties, the first two seasons I tried Vandos then Shirley and this year Ferline, my problem is every season so far the skins are very hard and you cannot chew them,yet the middles are beautiful and sweet, I have read different books the latest one is TOMATOES a gardeners guide with no luck, I would appreciate any help you can help me

Colin :(

applestar
Mod

I think it's the varieties. I don't recognize the names so I'm wondering if they are F1 hybrid varieties. Are they round and red?

Hybrid varieties bred for commercial production -- usually red and round -- tend to also be bred with tough skins for greater disease and pest resistance and to withstand shipping hither and yon. I just had a variety today for lunch that had not just paper thin but gossamer thin skin -- it's a clear skinned brown fleshed variety (designated "purple" in tomato-speak).

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

I like heirloom tomatoes. Pink Brandy Wine is a good choice.

Drought and excessive heat can cause tough skins, as well as the variety.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Agree with BirdLover. In drought and heat or if the soil is allowed to dry out too much, tomato skins thicken up. Then if you get a big rain, they are very vulnerable to splitting, because that tough skin can't stretch well, when the inside is expanding.

Consistent moisture is one key to keeping them tender.

imafan26
Mod

As apple said, some of it is variety. There are so many to choose from and some will grow in different regions better than others. You did not say where you are from. It helps a lot to put your location and zone in your profile so we can answer your questions better.

If you live in a northern climate like zone 5-8 then look into Applestar's tomato threads. She has grown and tasted many. I cannot grow most of her tomatoes because they are not heat tolerant

If you live in the south, the southern standby's for heat and humidity work best: Creole, Arkansas Traveler, Early Girl, Husky, sungold, suncherry, sun sugar, sugary, isis candy, quarter century aka matchless, Kellogg's breakfast, Better Boy, Big Beef. Cherries will always do better in the heat than large tomatoes. Red and round are usually not the best tomatoes. Yellow, orange and lobed are usually better tasting. Skins are tougher if they are crack free, but some of that is also culture.
These are a couple of places to go to get decent tomato variety reviews.

https://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Cate ... riety_List
https://www.morningsunherbfarm.com/ssp/tomatorating14

Dave's garden is also a good place to go if you want specific information on a variety and what people who actually have grown them are saying.

Even if a tomato grows well in one part of the country doesn't mean it will grow well for you. You still have to make sure you have the right soil, water and fertility conditions and microclimate for the tomato you are growing. I would love to grow some of Apple's tasty tomatoes, but they are northern varieties and a few of them that I checked out did not have the disease or heat resistance I need for them to do well for me. WIth literally hundreds of choices out there, there should be something that suits your needs. It may help to talk to local growers and gardeners to ask them what works and tastes best for them.

ColinJ
Newly Registered

Thank you all for your replies, just to clarify my location, l live in the UK and the area is called the Midlands my area is Leicestershire.

Colin

imafan26
Mod

Try Super Marmande, it is heat tolerant with good disease resistancce and productive. Because it is good cooking tomato, the skins may be tougher.
Sungold is a superior cherry, winning many taste tests. I tends to crack when ripe so it has more tender skin.
Gardener's delight is also productive with a bit of a tang.
Moneymaker is popular, has good yields but is prone to blight.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi Colin,

Warm welcome to the forum.

Please update your profile to include your region so forum members can make variety recommendations and offer advice on care.

I think you have one of two or both issues - a variety not suitable for your region/F1 Hybrid with tough skin or improper watering practices.

With a profile update you will get much better information.

Good luck

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”