ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

Separating Seed Tomato Blossoms

So it's that time of the year again when I am starting to think about saving tomato seed. I was wondering how important you guys think it is to separate the blossoms you plan on saving seed from such as putting a small jewelry bag or something over the blossoms. Do you guys separate them? I have tomatoes that I would like to save seed from but I did not separate the blossoms. I think the risk of cross pollination is fairly low because I have never even once seen a pollinating insect on any tomato flowers. What do you guys think?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

tomato pollen is wind borne. If you are growing different plants next to each other, they can cross pollinate.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

It is that some are vulnerable to crossing - as I understand it. Some varieties have such tight petals that they are all but completely closed to outside pollen.

I began growing my grandmother's tomato and saving seed from it about 25 years ago. When I started doing that, I never gave cross-pollination a thought. Those plants have never been alone in the garden. At first, there were a couple more varieties. About 10 years ago, I began to grow about 60 plants and as many as 30 varieties each year. I have never noticed a change in the plants grown from Grandmother's tomato seed.

There are usually multi-year seed stored from several dozen varieties on my shelves. I'm not selling it. If plants turn up in my garden that are different from what I expected, I can fall back on a previous year's seed or buy new (except for Grandmother's :)).

I was once given seed for Kellogg's Breakfast. One of the plants had red fruit that ripened early! I saved seed. The next season, half of those plants had red fruit and half had yellow, showing that their parent was indeed a cross. I saved seed from the red fruit and am anxiously awaiting fruit to ripen on this season's 4 plants (grandchildren ;)). I hope I don't lose the earliness while stabilizing the fruit color. Fun!

Steve

pow wow

I've never had a case of cross pollination, yet.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I said they can cross pollinate; I didn't say they will. Depends on variety, structure of the flowers, timing of the blossoms, wind conditions, etc etc:

"Under normal conditions, most tomatoes have a natural cross-pollination rate of about 2 to 5%. Under some conditions though, this can be much higher - maybe as high as 50%. The incidence depends on the types of insects active in the area, the existence and types of inter-planted crops, the wind, the blossom structure, and the blossom timing of the varieties involved. " https://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/toma ... 04159.html

ReptileAddiction
Greener Thumb

I read that same thing. I guess it is worth it then to bag the blossoms.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”