Gardener123
Green Thumb

Zone 6, anybody have a 4th of July tomato?

As a kid that is what I was always hearing about - the person who was lucky enough to have an edible tomato by the 4th of July. Most of my plants look fantastic, and are taller than ever before. They also have a lot of tomatoes on them, but for sure, I don't see any tomatoes being picked for at least 3 more weeks. The biggest tomato I have has fruit about half the size of what they will be when ready to be picked.

Anybody have a 4th of July edible tomato?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm in zone 6 and I picked my first ripe tomato about June 25.

I start them from seed indoors in late February.

cdog222
Cool Member

Zone 6 here as well. My 4th of July has full sized tomatoes but they haven't started to change color. Still going to be a little while! I think I transplanted them outdoors around the 2nd or 3rd week of May.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Mine went in the ground somewhere around April 20 -25.

applestar
Mod

Cherries and saladettes, but no slicers yet.
It looks like the blushing Captain Lucky will be the first:
image.jpg

Gardener123
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Mine went in the ground somewhere around April 20 -25.
Wow, that took guts, LOL....

Mine went in about the 12th of May, and I was worried about possible frost. I think I started my seeds in the last week of March or the first week of April.

imafan26
Mod

I am not in zone 6 so I get tomatoes most of the time.

When I read your original title I thought you were looking for Fourth of July, it is the name of an early cherry tomato that is supposed to have tomatoes by the fourth of July.

https://www.burpee.com/vegetables/tomato ... 00988.html

cdog222
Cool Member

Whoops - apparently my reading skills were somewhat lacking this morning! I thought Garden was referring to the '4th of July' variety. I guess my first post in this thread still applies. Overall, my '4th of July' plant is probably closest, although the Napa Grape has some lower fruits beginning to change color a little. I usually grow a few each of a dozen or so heirloom varieties along with a Napa Grape, Celebrity, and 4th of July. The 4th of July is almost always the first ready, although never by the 4th of July regardless of whether I set my plants out in late April, late May, or anywhere in between...

applestar
Mod

I think zone designation and last average frost are different. As long as we have been here, rainbow gardener has been able to plant out her tomatoes two weeks or so earlier than I can.

Typically last week of April to first week of May is the earliest tomato planting for me. During that time frame, we could still have 30's and frost in April, and we've even had a snow storm in May.

I start late maturing varieties (and slower growing dwarfs) in last week of February and try to start the others 1st week of March. Any earlier and they get too big to keep in the house. Needing daily shuttling outside and inside. (I need a tall, auto-vent cold frame....)

...it looked like one of the 42 Days tomatoes has also blushed as of yesterday. Didn't take a picture because I was busy straightening up fallen container plants and watering some of them due to all the gusty winds Arthur created. Though he bounced off the Cape in NC and we dodged it here. In fact, I may have to go out and water before the 8AM water restriction.....

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Well yes, there can be a wide variation of average last frost dates within a zone. But I suspect ours are not that different applestar (mine is 4/15). I just rush the season. Depending on how the season is going, I have been known to put tomato plants in the ground, before the average last frost date. This year it was slow to warm up, so I was a bit later. Some people don't like to put tomatoes out in the cold. IME as long as it is staying in the 40's, even though too cold, they don't look like they are doing much, but they are putting down roots and getting ready so they can take off when the warm comes.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

I've been getting cherries for a few weeks now.

But still no slicers... I have several varieties that are looking like they may turn any day. They have that lighter green glossy look. I THINK my first slicer may be a yellow brandywine. I also have something next to it getting ready to blush. The tag came off before planting. With so many varieties, I don't remember what I was missing. 3 year old daughter was also screaming her head off the whole time I was picking plants which made for a grab what you can and get the Heck out of there type scenario... :roll: ....sorry off topic...

There are a few Rutger looking glossy and light, and some mar globe, too!

I'm in 7a and we had a really strange spring. The weather struggled and so did my tomatoes. We didn't get good fruit set until maybe 4-6 weeks ago. Terrible blossom drop! They are larger than ever this year! And my plants are putting out lots of fruit now, close to the top of the plants.

I found an indigo rose plant at big box store last night. I couldn't help myself and bought it. It's planted between 2 squash plants now! :()

Rairdog
Green Thumb

I have been getting snacks and cherries. Its going to be a less than avg year here. Tall plants and lots of drops. Cold rainy spells made septoria worse and stressed them out. I am on border between 5 and 6.

PaulF
Greener Thumb

On the northern edge of zone 6, there are several green tomatoes on the vines. All of my varieties are mid to late season so no ripe ones expected for another three weeks.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Just TURN ALREADY!!! Sheesh!

applestar
Mod

Picked the red 42 Days yesterday:
image.jpg
At about 2" across, I would still consider this a saladette size, though you gotta admit it's cute! :()

MB3

nothing close to ripe,
I start from seed in Feb, but no real indoor growing setup

gardeningwithe

Def not for me... but I have some almost ready to pick... sheesh it is sooo hard waiting and waiting and waiting :). On the bright side I have a lot of green ones on the vines so just a little longer!!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes, right now I have a day of picking tomorrow. Well that and cataloging each variety which there are a bunch. I had quite a few of my early dwarfs with fruit in May.

bcallaha
Cool Member

I had one small tomato on July 3rd. I had corn also. That's not usual for me, though!! Our weather has been nice this summer.

Brad

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”