MaggieMD

How often do I water if no rain?

We are in a major dry spell here in Maryland. I am growing 42 tomato plants and other vegtables in the garden. The production has been rather weak compared to previous years. I have a drip hose watering system set up, but I'm wondering how frequently I should water? I read things on the forum about watering too much, but the leaves onthe plants look a little dried and curled. I've been watering 1 hour in the early morning 3 times a week. Is that right?

Zap

For me, it depends on what the weather's been like (how hot, how humid, etc.) I was a chronic overwaterer in years past, and am trying to reign it in (no pun intended, LOL). The old Italian guy who lives next door to me & has a HUGE garden says most people water their 'Mater too much. I've also been told it's better to water them @ night rather than in the morning. Something about the water having more time to be drawn up into the plants before the days heat starts. I probably water every other day or so. Even when it rains, less water actually falls at times than you might think, so don't think a rain squall is always sufficient.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”