jenny's garden
Newly Registered

seven dust & rain/watering

I have been using seven dust for my veggies and serious tick problem. What happens though when I water or when it rains? Do I need to reapply the seven dust every time the veggies & lawn get wet?
Thank you
Jenny's garden

imafan26
Mod

Read the label. It should tell you how to use it . There are waiting periods for harvesting. I used to use sevin a long time ago, but I pretty much have stopped using it now since it kills beneficial insects and I prefer not to use organophosphates if something less toxic works.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Please read about the Sevin here:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 11&t=57653

You do get caught in a chemical "addiction" using stuff like this. The Sevin not only kills the target insect, it kills all the insect predators of that. Since the predators are much fewer and rarer and since poisons concentrate up the food chain, the one you were trying to kill comes back much faster than the predators of it, so then when the bad guy comes back (which they always do), there are no controls for it and you get a population explosion of them.

I understand that ticks are a serious concern for your health. Neem oil is a natural treatment for them. To keep them out of your yard, there are natural repellant oils, based on things like garlic, cedar, rosemary.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

DITTO RBG

If you feel you MUST use Sevin use the liquid rather than the dust. A very negative issue with dust is that honey bees carry it back to the hive and can kill the entire hive. :eek:

It seems that every year there are fewer honey bees in my yard. :(

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”