MaggieMD

Will picking green tomatoes increase production?

It's July in Maryland, and the tomato plants look fine (if a big leggy).They have many green tomatoes on them, but so far (from 42 plants), we've only had about five ripe ones. Someone told me that if I pick off some green tomatoes (fried green tomatoes, anyone? :D ) that the producton will increase and the tomatoes will ripen faster. Does anyone know if that's true?

FYI, I put the plants in the garden the second weekend in May.
Thanks.

Roger

I'm not sure how much that removing some green tomatoes would speed up the ripening process for other existing fruits on the same vine. I've never really paid attention to that particular cause and effect. I can say that removing a few will definitely encourage new growth of the vine and new blooms on that new growth. This is fine with me, as I like my plants to grow taller than some people like them to.

MaggieMD

Thanks Roger. I may do that, so that I have more tomatoes later in the summer, if you say they put out more blooms. Now I guess I need a fried green tomato recipe!

We are also having a significant dry spell here in MD (not nearly what you have in Georgia though, from what I hear), so maybe that is slowing down the ripening. I have been watering with drip hoses, but somehow that doesn't seem to be as good as a nice rain.

Zap

FRIED GREEN TOMATOES

These fried green tomatoes are made with eggs and cornmeal or bread crumbs.
INGREDIENTS:

* 4 to 6 green tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
* salt and pepper
* flour for dusting
* 2 eggs, beaten
* cornmeal or bread crumbs
* bacon grease or vegetable oil

PREPARATION:
Salt and pepper the tomato slices; dust lightly with flour. Dip slices in beaten egg, letting excess drip off, then coat well with meal or crumbs. Fry in hot grease or oil until browned, turning gently (about 3 minutes each side).

Keep warm in a low 200° to 250° oven if frying in batches.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”