nopeda

How to prevent blossom end rot?

I see that there's a big thread about this but it's a bit too much information. I'll be growing in round containers about 18"x18" using Miracle Grow potting mix and am wondering if there's anything I can add to the soil to start with to prevent BER, and if so how much to add. Is there an easy simple answer?

Thanks for any help!
David

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

The first thing to tell you is stay away from the moisture control mix. It is TROUBLE!!! The moisture control substance they put in it holds so much water that it doesn't release enough to the plants roots and they grow poorly. Is your potting mix peat based, most are. If so it will be acidic, and tomatoes like their pH around 6.8 ideally. So you should add dolomite lime to the mix, at the rate of 2 cups mixed into 4 gallons potting mix. Please make sure it is dolomite lime, not hydrated lime. The lime is a calcium source for the tomato plant, as well as a way to increase an acidic pH.
I also add 1/2 tsp per gallon of Calcinit ( Kelp4less.com)this is very soluble calcium nitrate. I use that solution as a little extra calcium feed to my container plants. They get this every third watering. It boosts growth too.
BER is a calcium deficiency to the fruit, but really it is a sickness caused by inconsistent watering, either too little, or too much. The calcium is there, but the plant uses it for the leaves, robbing the fruit of it, so you get BER. So the dolomite lime and consistent watering are the key. Also, certain types of tomatoes are much more susceptible. The paste, " Roma" types are famous for having BER, sometimes hearts too, almost never with cherry tomatoes. Final thing to note is, as the plant matures, it usually just outgrows BER anyway.and BER happens much more with container growing, but not much the second year you use the soil, because at the beginning of the next season, you mix in another dose of the dolomite lime, and there is already some dissolved into the potting mix from the first year. So you are increasing the amount of lime the plant gets.
I hope you have the patience to read this...

imafan26
Mod

I grew my tomatoes in self watering containers no added calcium and no BER either.

I haven't had BER in years. I do have cracking mostly because of the rain, it cannot be helped. I found that when the tomatoes get bigger and start putting on fruit in summer, they need to be watered more often. I water twice a day in summer. Mulching helps to retain moisture and I group my pots so they don't cook the roots.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Imafan, curious, what is in your potting aggregate? What do you pot with?

nopeda

Juliuskitty wrote:The first thing to tell you is stay away from the moisture control mix. It is TROUBLE!!! The moisture control substance they put in it holds so much water that it doesn't release enough to the plants roots and they grow poorly. Is your potting mix peat based, most are. If so it will be acidic, and tomatoes like their pH around 6.8 ideally. So you should add dolomite lime to the mix, at the rate of 2 cups mixed into 4 gallons potting mix. Please make sure it is dolomite lime, not hydrated lime.
. . .
I hope you have the patience to read this...
Yes I did a couple of times. It was very helpful. Thank you very much!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Check out this thread there is a lot of info and ideas here.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 15&t=25876

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”