blueberrybecca
Newly Registered

Please help my tomatoes!!!

Something is wrong with my seedlings! I grow a ton of tomatoes every year and I have no idea what is going on with these, I've never had an issue before. A week or so ago they were strong and healthy, now they are turning pale, the tips are turning brown, and they are shriveling up and dying. What can I do to save what I have left? Thanks!
Attachments
plants.jpeg

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Hard to say. It looks like they have enough light. Are they too wet, too dry, do you give them ventilation with a fan?

Need more info

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

the photo does not make them look so bad.

looks like a sterile soilless mix in the tray - and it looks quite dry.
I'd plunk the tray in a flat of water for an hour, remove, let drain.

Hieron

Hi becca - a few things I'm thinking of:

Like the other's said, think about how much you're watering. If your seedlings are drowning they will start yellowing and curling up and eventually dying. I'm sure you know what they look like when they don't have enough water so I won't go into that. :P

Also I'm wondering about fertilizer. Have you been fertilizing at all? If yes, you might have overdone it - seedlings require no fertilizer until they get their first set of real leaves and even then you want to go very light so they build strong roots. It's pretty easy to burn seedlings by over-fertilizing, even if you go organic. On the other hand, pale leaves when light and water are good and there are no diseases can result from nutrient deficiency. If there was no compost or fertilizer in your planting medium and you haven't fertilized at all yet, it's probably time to apply a half-strength fertilizer. I like to go organic when possible so I suggest liquid seaweed and fish emulsion, which will have a good array of both macro and micro nutrients. xD

Good luck! Write back if you have any other info or questions!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Those are way to young for fertilizer of any kind.

shadylane
Green Thumb

Replant in sterile soil. Sound as if you have fusarium wilt, but that doesn't start till tomatoes begin to appear..could be early blight, if you see spots on the leaf with that again use sterilized soil. The spots are usually surrounded by yellow. If this is more to your problem do not plant in your garden. Dispose them and start again...you have time.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”