NeedSomeHelp
Newly Registered

Cross-Pollination Question

I am aware that tomatoes will sometimes cross-pollinate with each other if they are in a close proximity. This, of course, will hybridize your heirloom plants with each other.

My question is, do the plants really have to be 50-100 ft. away from each other (as many of the FAQ's suggest) or can they be in the same home garden and be just fine? I ask because I want to save the seeds from my Brandywines, but I have no idea if they have cross pollinated with my hybrid, retail, varieties. Has anyone here grown different varieties in the same garden and not had any trouble with hybridizing?

Thanks.

Geek

NeedSomeHelp wrote:I am aware that tomatoes will sometimes cross-pollinate with each other if they are in a close proximity. This, of course, will hybridize your heirloom plants with each other.

My question is, do the plants really have to be 50-100 ft. away from each other (as many of the FAQ's suggest) or can they be in the same home garden and be just fine? I ask because I want to save the seeds from my Brandywines, but I have no idea if they have cross pollinated with my hybrid, retail, varieties. Has anyone here grown different varieties in the same garden and not had any trouble with hybridizing?

Thanks.
I grow mine (Brandywines) on opposite corners/rows in my garden (30X50). I plan on collecting the seeds this year as well so I am interested in this question too.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

NeedSomeHelp,

This may help.

[url]https://www.seedsave.org/issi/904/beginner.html#anchor005[/url]

It suggest keeping older varieties further apart to avoid cross pollination.

Norm

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”