zigzaggy

When is best time to plant tomato seeds in Phoeniz AZ area

I live in the Phoenix AZ area and wondered if anyone could tell me when is the best time to start tomatoes from seed for this area? Is it too late?

btrowe1

I'd say now, didn't you just have snow like 2 weeks ago..

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Sunset's Western Garden Book holds the answer.

Phoenix is in Sunset climate zone 13 ("Low or Subtropical Desert Areas"). The growing season is bimodal (if I may use a statistical term): mid-February through late May and again from late August through November/December. June, July, and August are shown as non-growing season months, with this notation: "heat stops growth in summer" (p. 60 in my 2001 edition).

Looking in the alphabetical plant encyclopedia of the Western Garden Book, the Tomato listing gives this additional information: "Plant in February or early March in Zones 12, 13; in April, May, or early June in Zones 7-9, 14-24; [etc.]" (p. 634). There may be daylight-shortening problems with planting tomatoes later in the year; local independent nurseries can let you know.

So plant them now. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

zigzaggy

It is true we had a freak snow that was extremely unusual for here. Thanks both of you for your comments. It sounds like I will really have to get started NOW! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

YES.

By the more simplified USDA cold hardiness zone system, you are in zone 9A. Planting guides for zone 9 will tell you to plant tomatoes in Feb-Mar and again in August.

Production will likely shut down in heat of summer. Some gardeners try to limp their tomatoes through and then they start producing again in late summer. Some people just pull them and start again with fresh plants in late summer. You can look for heat tolerant varieties like Solar Fire, Sun Master, Arkansas Traveler, etc to prolong the time when they will produce.

In the meantime, since I like to give mine a good head start, even though we have snow on the ground, I planted my tomato seeds indoors under lights on Feb 22. So by any measure, yes time for you to plant, but no not too late.

sepeters

Hi Zig!
We start our tomato seeds indoors in late December through February. Normally I would already have the first batch hardened off and in the garden. This winter has been long and night temps are still unusually low and erratic. I am having to bring the plants in at night and will not permanently transplant them til next week (hopefully). Tonight will be 54, tomorrow 57, fri 41, sat 45.
What's going on with the weather? :?

I got hail at my house instead of snow! The hail really did a number on the garden! Bizarre.

zigzaggy

Thanks for the info. So if I started the seeds in Feb. when would they most likely be ready to transplant into the garden? Also, if I wanted to plant some transplants out later in the summer when the hottest temps are past, when would I start the seeds for that?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Start your seeds 6 - 8 wks ahead of when you want to put them in the ground.

zigzaggy

Thank you rainbowgardener

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I think you should be planting your tomatoes about now for the Phoenix area. I have a friend over there that sells lots of heirloom tomatoes and she has been selling them for the past couple of weeks.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”