jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I picked another bucketful of tomatoes today and it looks like it will be worth covering them for the upcoming storm and cold weather. Still quite a few on the vines.

I got the taters dug. Found a few more squash, cucumbers and melons. Picked a few raspberries. The end of garden scrounging is always interesting. You never know what you will find. We ran out of irrigation water a month ago. I think the strawberries would still be producing if they had gotten watered.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

James,

How or what are your water rights? Does the reservoir reach a point and then everyone is cut off? Water meter?

Eric

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Good luck James, Heck I might even beat you to frost. We are looking at a possible light frost this weekend. 36 in St Louis we are normally 3-5+ less than them here.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The irrigation water I have is storage water in the reservoir. The water collects through winter and early spring. Most from snow melt. It comes to me through a canal, then into a pipeline, so I have gravity feed pressure. No pump. When the water is gone, its gone. Some years we have water a little later in the fall, but this year it was gone too soon. We didn't have a good snow fall last winter. If we get a good snow fall, the snow melt continues well into the irrigation season since we have some really high mountains in the drainage system.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

The reservoir is yours exclusively?

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Oh heavens no. It is a shared project. Lots of acres are under irrigation from this reservoir. I am a minor shareholder. Here is a pic:

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/porcupine_5.jpg[/img]

You asked about a water meter. No. We use the water as needed. There are guidelines on how we should operate our sprinkler lines. I have all the water I want until its gone.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”