dunnjt10
Newly Registered

Super bloom type fertilizer on tomatos-help or hinder ?

Hello,
My plants are all doing very well this year, both tomatos and flowering plants in containers.
I water from a rain barrel and mix fertilizer in the water. I use a low N formula for the tomatos and a superbloom formula for the flowering plants.
Would it cause any harm to my tomato plants, about 4' high now, to use the rain water and the super bloom formula that I use on my flowers?

It's highly inconvenient to be mixing a formula for the tomatos and another for the flowers. So, will super bloom formulas adversely affect my tomatos or will they just go on growing their best?

Thanks for any help or suggestion.
I am very happy to have found this forum.
Jerry D.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

dunnjt10 wrote:Hello,
My plants are all doing very well this year, both tomatoes and flowering plants in containers.
You said it yourself....if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Everything is doing well.

dunnjt10
Newly Registered

I may not have made my previous question very clear.

I water my tomatos and my flowers from a rain barrel in which I mix fertilizer formulated for tomatos. Certainly this tomato formula is not the best formula for the flowers. I use a super bloom formula for the flowers.

If I mixed up a barrel full of super bloom formula that I use on my flowers, would using that super bloom formula fertilizer on my tomatos harm or hinder my tomato plants?

I don't want to be mixing two specific formulas, one for tomatos and one for flowers. Can I combine the two formulas into one mixture and use it on both the tomatos and the flowers?

So, I am looking for a way to NOT have to mix two different formulas for two different plant's needs.

Thanks for your help,
Jerry D.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

I guess what I was getting at was....if you have multiple types of plants sometimes you just have to use multiple types of amendments for them. That's the work part of gardening.

The best answer I can give you to make things easier is to stop using fertilizer. Side dress everything with compost and then just water with fresh, clear rainwater. You'll have happier plants that way anyway.

I don't know if that's the answer you wanted, but it's may be the most applicable. The vast majority of members here don't use/will advise against using chemical fertilizers. So it may be hard to get the answer you're really looking for.

IDK if you have ever tried using just compost. But I think you'll find it's cheaper, better for your plants, better for the environment, and more gratifying. Just my opinion though. Good luck with your tomatoes and flowers. :wink:

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”