celara
Newly Registered

My tomato plants are sad

My plants are growing like weeds and blooming like crazy but they look horribly wilted and the leaves are all curled up. It's not a lack of water. I suspect I have soil gnats - would they do this? I've tried the garlic solution to no avail. Is there anything else I can try?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I just noticed that you never got a response to this.

A picture would help in diagnosing this problem. Instructions for posting pictures here are in New to Helpful Gardener? under Helpful Tips and Suggestions for New Members.

If the leaves curl up and in, this may just be an indication of too much water, too much temperature variation or other stresses. See

https://mr-tomato-king.blogspot.com/2011/06/leaf-curl-on-tomatoes.html for more information about this and picture.

But this kind of leaf roll is not usually accompanied by wilting. If they really are seriously wilted it must be something else. I would expect some disease, although if they were badly overwatered (like poor drainage and staying wet) that could cause wilting and rolling leaves.

If these are big plants (not seedlings) I wouldn't think the fungus gnats could cause that, but if you have fungus gnats, that's another indication that the soil is staying too wet.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”