dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

55 varieties planted first tomato up

Opalka- was the first one up it is a paste tomato and it was up in less than 3 days. followed by a tomato called- Topaz 1-3 oz yellow tomato...

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Awesome. Now take a breather cause the rest will be popping up fast.

We have some work ahead of us my friend.

I think all but one ot two variety's of my first drop have sporuted at least one of the 3 cells.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Life begins anew!

How will you keep track of them once those 55 varieties are out in the garden, Dusty?

I have trouble with half that many. Sure, the ones that have been around before are recognized but the new-to-me's are another story. I have used the plastic plant stakes that have been with them in their containers but, I swear, the garden gnomes haul them off, push them underground with their big, clumsy feet, or otherwise hide them until the frost kills the plants at the end of the season!!

There are always 2 or 3 plants that I can't ID!

Steve

brandon558
Cool Member

thats alot of different vareties...sounds like fun though.

and yeah...how do you keep up with them one planted?

lily51
Greener Thumb

Sounds inteinteresting :) keep records during all the stages and you can be the go-to person on tomato varieties. Have a fun summer.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have 48 for now. I always do one at a time and make sure it is labeled before anything is done. I messed up bad one year and 50+% of what went into the garden was mislabeld. :oops: :twisted:

Dusty do you label them in the garden. I use tags some from Lowe's and tie the to the cage/etc. I also DO NOT use sharpies. They always fade, I use paint markers once they go outside. They do not fade, you can get them pretty cheap at any craft store probably at a office supply store as well.

Again good luck Dusty, can't wait to see how this season goes.

brandon558
Cool Member

I did the same thing this year....all the seedlings got mixed up and I don't have a clue what is what.

oh well...it will be a supprise.

good luck

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I try to do things one at a time and keep records I will keep a photo record that helps I keep a garden journal that helps and I video that helps. I love to look back and see how things grew its amazing....Things are busy...I will let you know what worked best in my yard lol I have high hopes....

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”