gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Tomato list for this year; Revision # 7,843

Well it's not really the 7,843rd revision but it feels like it. Really about # 12 of just totally starting over. But this time I think it is going to stick. Though a few of these may go and a few others may surface (heck I just now found about 10 packs I didn't have on my master list). Time is ticking and the starting gate is just around the corner. I have way too many seeds, no cross that out, I have way too little land. Yeah thats the ticket.

So here is my final (for now) list. -wall- LMFAO

Top 10:
Iva's Pink Russian
Big Cheef
Darth Mater
Red Barn
Sweet Beverly
Coeur de Boeuf Blanc
Rebel Yell
Spudatula
Mr. Underwood's Pink German Giant
Missouri Pink Love Apple

Big Boy's:
Crnkovic Yugoslavian
German Johnson
Giant Belgium
Giant Syrian
Happy Jack
Grandma Viney's Yellow and Pink
Marvel Striped
Omar's Lebanese
Striped German
Grandpa Charlie/Willy
Caspian Pink

Dark:
Black And Brown Boar
Black Elephant
Vorlon
Amazon Chocolate

Striped/Bicolor:
Hillbilly
Indian Stripe
Beauty King
Sandul Moldovan

Other Wants:
Cherokee Green
Spudyellow Strawberry
Buzau 22
Livingston's Favorite
Livingston's Magnus
Mendozza 44
Kozula 133
Soldacki

Cherry's:
Black Cherry
Chocolate Cherry
Snow White
Tigerella ?

Dwarfs:
Hellfrucht
Kecskemeti Jubileum
Red Robin
Silvery Fir Tree
Tasmanian Chocolate
Victorian Dwarf
Lucky Leprechaun
Mano
Orange Pixie
Earl Of Edgecombe (not a dwarf but I heard it would do in a pot)
Moravsky Div

soil
Greener Thumb

looks like you have a nice list there, from now on id start crossing and selecting for my own varieties. then your list will triple haha.

your growing a few that I am this year too. itl be nice to compare.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Jeez... how many acres of tomatoes is that?

Isn't it about time to start planting them? My tomato plants have the first true leaves. But it is hard for me to remember that you are south of me, but north in zones... you are zone 5 and I'm zone 6. That never seems right, but elevation and all kinds of local factors enter in. I'm protected in the Ohio River Valley... Anyway, still it seems like about planting time! :)

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Soil I am looking forward to sharing notes. Good luck my friend. :D

Rainbow all the Dwarfs will be in pots. So that takes out about 10. It will take some planning on my part for sure. As far as when to start that is always a confusion. People start at so many different times. I am going with a bit later this year. I plan to start about mid March. Set out first of May or so. We shall see how things go. Last year there was a devastating freeze to our local farmers, mainly the grape/wine growers in late April.

It is hard not to start some and who knows what crazy things I will do.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I am going to try to finalize my tomatoes this week I have it down to 50 varieties but I got to cut that a little. I love your choices save your seeds I am going to hit you up for some.lol I am going with the smaller varieties and pastes a few big ones and a few dwarfs...I will post my list this week sometime...

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

gixxerific wrote:...I have way too many seeds, no cross that out, I have way too little land. Yeah thats the ticket...
LMFAO Good one, Dono!

Nice list, pictures and impression would be in order, Sir!

Regards,
D

P.S. Sandul Moldovan - pink, greenish/yellow shoulders at times (not a bicolor)... Grew it in 2010, excellent, huge plants, exceptional production!

mattie g
Green Thumb

Incredible list, gixx. I am incredibly jealous of those of you who have the room to grow more than a few plants! I have to limit myself to about eight plants per year because I just don't have the room in my typical suburban yard.

I haven't started from seed before, but I would like to start next year, so I'm hoping to save some seeds from this year's crop. I've ordered two of each of Cherokee Purple, Valencia, San Marzano, Brandywine, and Mortgage Lifter. I may have to buy a few ten-gallon containers to accommodate them all, but it'll be well worth it.

I have to say - I'm most excited about the San Marzanos. My wife and I are big into sauces and salsas - and I'm not a fan of tomatoes in general (I just love to grow them) - so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we get a bumper crop of the Marzanos this year.

Of the list above, the San Marzanos would seem to me to be the best for containers. Am I completely off base on that?

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I grew one variety of San Marzano a determinate in containers last year. I did 4 plants in containers they did great.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I've never grown tomatoes any way BUT in huge tubs or even in large bags of potting soil, and I have had to beg people to come and pick !
I'll bet you'll be fine.
I hope you'll post pictures-I'm always interested in container crops.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Dusty: Hit me up I will have plenty of seed if all goes right. :wink: Didn't we already trade, or did I just send you some or something? I can't remember all the trades I have done. That is a good thing though. :flower:

D_V: Good call I must have put SM in the wrong place. If any one is interested look here. https://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Sandul_Moldovan

mattie g: Not a big fan of tomatoes. Wait till you try those Cherokee Purple. You may change your mind. Good luck with your garden, good choice on 10 gallon, bigger is better. Definitely save your seeds, start trading. You will come up with some great variety's.

DeborahL; I dig containers as well. Have read many books on "Crops in pots". That's actually the name of one of them, if you haven't read it you should. I found it at my library. I will have a bunch of tomatoes in pots this year. Who knows what else. I have done carrots, potatoes, onions, tomatoes, herbs, lettuce, radishes etc. all with pretty good success.

Dono

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Am I going off topic here? Oh well it's my thread. nutz: LMFAO

Happy Gardening Everyone!!!!

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I haven't done potatoes but I do all of the others. Also dwarf lemon, orange, pomegranate trees and wisteria.
My constant failure is gardenia. Love the flower, hate the fussy plant ! Grrrr !

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Deb potatoes in pots are great. The yeild may be smaller but when harvesting it doesn't get any easier. Just dump it over and there they are.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

Yep you sent me a care package with some Sweet Beverly's Big Cheef and Moosolini and I am very excited to see how they come out....thanks again

mattie g
Green Thumb

Dusty and Deborah: Thanks for the reply. Good to know the San Marzanos should be able to hold their own in pots. I've tried pots before, but they always resulted in spindly plants will little production. Little did I realize that the pots were *way* too small.

Gixx: I'm one of those people who just can't do raw tomatoes. My wife rocks a mean sauce, and we love our fresh salsa, but I even tried some Brandywines last year that friends said were incredible, but I just couldn't stomach it! I'd love to find a mater that I can take to...hopefully the Cherokee Purples will be the ticket!

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

mattie g I know a lot of people that hate tomatoes but they will eat a Juliet F1 hybrid a grape cherry tomato very crisp meaty not a lot of juicy guts give one a try. they also make a great sauce tomato..

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

LOL you are like my neighbor Mattieg. He does not like tomatoes but could drink a catchup bottle. :lol:

To go along with Dusty I have another suggestion for you to try. Black Cherry, I have not met a person alive who doesn't love them. Even my boss who hates tomatoes, they mess up his sotmach for one thing, loved my black cherry's.

mattie g
Green Thumb

Thanks both! If I can score one of those to I'll give them a whirl. If not, there's always next year. :wink:

And, gixx, your neighbor and I have a lot in common. I've been known to eat fries with my ketchup...

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

mattie g wrote:Thanks both! If I can score one of those to I'll give them a whirl. If not, there's always next year. :wink:

And, gixx, your neighbor and I have a lot in common. I've been known to eat fries with my ketchup...
If you want some Black Cherry PM me I will send some.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I rather like a bit of potato with my gravy... :lol:

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Gixx, I'm gonna try my first potatoes !
Mattie, I've read that cooked tomato is healthier for men, so if you just can't face a raw tomato it's still OK.

mattie g
Green Thumb

Gixx: I'm assuming you're talking seeds. Unfortunately I don't have the equipment yet to start from seed, but I do hope to start next year. Thanks for the offer!

Deborah: Then I'm doing OK health-wise. I scarf down my wife's tomato sauce like a dog eating some raw Kobe Beef!

BrianIllinois
Cool Member

You'll like the German Johnson and the Belgian Giant. Had good results with both varieties last year, and my brother had even better results -- tons of production.
Taste and other characteristics of the two varieties are similar. They're very tasty.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the heads up Brian

I picked my choices very carefully for uniqueness, size, flavor etc

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Mattie,

Many who don't particularly like tomatoes are often surprised by Cherokee purple, and how unique it's sweet/smoky flavor is, and then the color... So I hope you do like them raw :wink:

Regards,
D

mattie g
Green Thumb

Duh_Vinci wrote:Mattie,

Many who don't particularly like tomatoes are often surprised by Cherokee purple, and how unique it's sweet/smoky flavor is, and then the color... So I hope you do like them raw :wink:

Regards,
D
Thanks, Duh_Vinci. I've heard a lot of good things about the Cherokee Purples. I general rely on my wife to tell me how tomatoes taste before I serve them to friends (she’s a brave one ;o), but I'm willing to give one a whirl if she gives the thumbs up. In fact, I tried a Brandywine last year on her suggestion, but it just really didn't do it for me. It certainly tasted “betterâ€

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”