tovfla
Cool Member

Growing tomatoes in Miami

I am really excited about planting tomatoes this season. I bought four different varieties online (big beef, bella rosa, sun gold hybrid and black cherry). I have a few questions:

When should I plant my seeds?

Also, I am debating whether to grow in the ground or is it better to grow in large containers?

Any other advice for growing tomatoes in Miami would be appreciated! Thank you :)

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Generally you start tomato seeds roughly 8 weeks before you plan to plant them out. You can start them a couple of weeks earlier, some do.
Tomatoes always seem to do better in the ground than in a pot, no matter where you live. The main reason for planting in a pot would be so you could take them in if you get a cold snap. If you want to hedge you bet plant some both ways. For planting in pots the pots need to be quite large and often selfwatering work best, unless you get rain storm after rain storm after rain storm in a very short duration of time. Best of luck

tovfla
Cool Member

ok thanks!! seems like I'm a little late to start the seeds...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not necessarily too late in Miami. If you lived near me, it would be way too late. But I think now isn't a bad time to plant tomato seeds in Miami. Tomato plants don't set fruit very well when it is really hot, so for you they do better to grow through the fall and "winter." :) But do get started now!

tovfla
Cool Member

Good to know :) trying to get everything right this time around... my first time growing tomatoes wasn't very successful. I'm thinking of planting the seeds in 100% compost - is that ok?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Not really. Compost is too dense for starting seeds well. I know my compost pile starts plenty of volunteer tomatoes, but I don't know how many seeds were in there that produced those three (or however many) volunteers. But if you are trying to do it, potting soil will work a lot better. Just put some potting soil in plastic drink cups with drainage holes.

For growing the plants you would be better off mixing your compost with some regular garden soil. There's a thread around here, that I don't have time right now to go looking for, but you could probably find with Search the Forum discussing the pros and cons of growing in 100% compost.

tovfla
Cool Member

Great, thanks. I found some pros and cons but for now will not use complete compost for the seedlings.

Fig3825

Based on temperature averages, I don't see why you couldn't grow tomatoes year round in Miami... But thinking about it more deeply, I would think you could get a spring season and a fall season in for sure. Summertime temps might stay above 90F for too long to get decent fruiting.

Perhaps if you are close to the water, the breeze might even allow a summer season. And on a warm winter year, I don't see why you couldn't grow then also if the overnight temps don't get below 65 or so for extended periods of time...

That's just my two cents. I hear humidity might cause problems in the summer, though.

Garf
Green Thumb

I have some experience growing in Miami, mostly bad. The rainy season is impossible. I lost a lot of starts. You need a sheltered area to start seed. Seed needs to be started about 60 days before plant out. Plant out date is the end of the rainy season, usually in early October. Planting in what passes for "native" soil here is hopeless. You must have either a raised bed or use containers. Compost mixed with potting soil will do for a raised bed. For containers, use a soilless mix like Promix.

tovfla
Cool Member

The summer gets way too hot here for tomatoes. I had several plants and and none of them set fruit (except one lucky tomato which tasted so good).

Garf, I was planning on growing some tomatoes in the ground. I bought some heavy black plastic to "cook" the nematodes and then will amend it with good soil and compost. I'll also grow several plants in containers, but is it truly hopeless growing in the ground instead of a raised bed?

Garf
Green Thumb

It worked well the first year. Each successive year, it got worse. Root knot nematodes.

FlowerPowerGirl

What's realy neat is growing tomatoes in December here in Florida. People come from up north in the middle of winter and can't believe it, tomatoes growing. Maybe they are big enough to eat, some ripening. Tomatoes in the supermarket are so expensive too.

hardland

I'm in Ft Laud, I start my seeds now, early Sept. This should let you plant up to small pots in 2 weeks, then in large 5 Gallon containers around mid October, harvest in Late January. The last couple of winters have been colder than usual, 09-10 was very cold, that has been my biggest challenge. In containers I was able to bring the plants under the patio for some warmth. I also start a second batch from seed around early dec, to harvest in April. The average Fl winter days seem perfect for Toms, the other issue is short days and finding a place in your yard for 8+ hours of direct sun.

Garf
Green Thumb

I am currently experimenting with seeds taken from Supermarket tomatoes. I have 3 batches of starts, 7 plants, and 24 maters including babies. Here are a few.
Attachments
MVC-006F.JPG
MVC-008F.JPG
MVC-009F.JPG

Garf
Green Thumb

Current head count on the maters is 37 including the babies from all 7 plants.

Garf
Green Thumb

I am still looking for heat tolerant tomato seeds. Despite a massive collection, I just bought 3 more packs of seeds. Afghan, African Queen, and Bedouin. Something has to work.

Garf
Green Thumb

Latest tomato count is 51. Still none blushing.

Garf
Green Thumb

Tomatoes are now beginning to blush, so my next head count will be the last. I have started 4 more plants that will be batch 4, my last batch of supermarket tomatoes this year.

Garf
Green Thumb

Rather than risk the tomato being attacked by something, I went ahead and picked the first blushing tomato of the season. It will still be 2 or 3 days till it can be tasted. This ends the head counts with the final total at 72. Even one backup plant has babies. Tomato size is 1 3/4".
Attachments
1k.jpg

Garf
Green Thumb

I just picked the first blushing tomato of this season. This ends the head counts at 72. It will still be a few days till it can be tasted. Tomato size is 1 3/4"
Attachments
1k.jpg
1k.jpg (22.4 KiB) Viewed 3345 times

Garf
Green Thumb

I have picked the third blushing tomato of the season. The first two have been eaten and taste approved. All 3 were from batch 1, the last surviving plant from last season.

imafan26
Mod

In Miami, you have pretty much the same weather as I do in Hawaii. Really no snow to speak of and very hot summers. Sun gold and and the cherry tomatoes do o.k. in the summer heat, but for the late summer July-September, you need to have heat resistant tomatoes. University of Florida has put out a few that can take temperatures in the 100's. I could not grow them because they lack resistance to fungal disease. The bigger tomatoes that are not heat resistant will drop their blossoms when the temperature goes over 90 but may still live on if they are disease free and will put on fruit again once the temperatures come down. Really big tomatoes don't do that well but the tomatoes in the 8 oz. size tend to do a little better. I can't grow a whopper tomato since I have short days so I have not grown a tomato that has reached a pound yet.

Tomatoes are not as fussy as peppers. They prefer warmer but will germinate as low as 50 degrees, they germinate better at 65.

Heat resistant varieties I have grown have been HeatwaveI II, Brandywine did remarkably well up to the 90's, Creole, Early Girl (stopped producing but lasted and came back), Jubilee (It was too tart for me), Sweet 100, Sungold, Red Cherry, Sioux, Arkansas Traveler, Fourth of July, and Big Beef.

Sun Leaper, Sunmaster, Florida 91 and Solar Fire are supposed to keep producing well into the 90's.

Garf
Green Thumb

New batch of 6 Everglades plants. So far I have 30+ babied and hopefully more to come.

Garf
Green Thumb

MVC-005F.JPG
MVC-005F.JPG (56.19 KiB) Viewed 3129 times
Here is a sample pic.

imafan26
Mod

For wild tomatoes they are big. Most of my wild tomatoes are small.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”