Signal30
Cool Member

How Long Leave Soaker Hose on Raised Bed Tomatoes?

Tomato plants in raised beds in two feet of soil. No rain for a while.

How long do you leave a soaker hose on for?

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I use soaker hoses in my raised beds. It took me a while to determine how long to let the water run. I finally decided the 1/2" hoses work best for me. The larger diameter hoses allow too much water to escape near the faucet and sometimes water can't reach the far end of the hose. I do use the flow discs that come installed in some brands to limit the total amount of water that flows into the hoses at 60 psi of water pressure. I also cut my 50' hoses into 25' hoses for each 8' bed. In the hot, dry summer we are experiencing in Texas, I set my timer to deliver water to my beds for ten minutes in the morning and ten minutes in mid afternoon. I use less water in the early spring and fall. It keeps my beds moist, but not wet. If you live in a hot dry area, you also need to put at least one inch of mulch over the bed and soaker hoses to slow evaporation.

Ted

2cents
Green Thumb

here in cincy,
I have 8 foot (4 ft wide)beds with 2x10s,
Last year I looped the soaker down n back, so it ran on both sides of the tomato plant.
I let it rum for 1/2 hour every 2-5 days. depending on wilting
PS never forget and leave them on all night

tedln
Super Green Thumb

If you grow in raised beds without sealed bottoms, the water drops out of the bottom of the beds. They dry out much faster than growing in the soil and require moisture on a more frequent schedule. After the plants are established, many varieties send their roots into the soil below the beds and watering frequency can be reduced. I read somewhere tomato plants can send roots six or eight feet deep if the seed is planted direct in the bed and the tap root is undisturbed. Most tomato plants are transplants and the tap root is disturbed causing the root system to become more fibrous and grow more horizontally in the bed. Hot, dry climates like mine require much more moisture in raised beds than cool, moist climates. Large plants also require more moisture than small plants. I position my soaker hose about 6" from each side of the bed and then right down the middle. Raised beds should be filled with soil with a high organic content in order to help transport the moisture from the point where it is delivered, throughout the bed. Organics in the soil are consumed and decompose quickly and should be replenished yearly.

Ted

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”