PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

What to do with these tomatoes?

Hi,

I am growing 4 varieties of Tomatoes. What is the best way to use them? What is best for eating alone, making salsa, putting in salads, making soups or sauces etc?

Example : Cherry tomatoes - Eat by itself or put in salad.

These are the varieties I am growing:

Roma
Jet Star
Yellow Pear
German Johnson

How would you use these? Thx

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I never cared for the taste of the yellow pear but the rest are good! Roma is a sauce or canning tomato.. Roma will keep a long time when they are ripe even on the vine! Roma a meaty tomato taste fair in salads also!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

What about making salsa with Roma?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

You can make 'wet' salsa out of all of them. The romas, because they are a dry paste type, will make a better pico de gallo 'dry' salsa.

For the best sauce I would mix all three of the larger varieties, German Johnson will probably be the best fresh eating. Jet star may be preferable for BLTs and burgers as I expect a bit of a bolder acid taste than the German Johnson.
Last edited by TZ -OH6 on Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mmmfloorpie

You could also make a tomato salad. It's basically an Italian dish that just combines tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, fresh herbs, and salt and pepper (all to taste).

I also love romas on pizzas or even a sub sandwich. The reason they are used for sauces is because they have a lot lower water content than a regular tomato so they don't make everything soggy, plus they have a nice fresh "sauce" taste!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”