gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Now I'm mad it's my turn for pest.

I have been waiting and thinking how weird is was for no disease or pest to totally annihilating my garden.

I was out trimming the lower and unwanteds off my tomatoes. When I found worms have destroyed about 5 tomatoes that I can see so far. I killed a few but also found a few tom's just pecked at and left. :evil: :twisted: :twisted:

Sorry no pics I thought about it but I wanted them in half and I was still busy trying to get done and out of the heat.

Any ideas it was a brown somewhat striped worm about 1 - 1/2 to 2 + inches. A little guy but still messing me up. I saw a few before and killed them, and haven't thought about them again. I check the plants every day and have not see evidence like this until today.

I will be out in the morning again when it's cool to see if I find anymore, I searched and searched on my hands and knees and found no evidence of anything except the bad tom's :twisted: :? :twisted:

Sevin Dust here I come.

Just kidding I'm not that mad. As in mad enough in the head to use Sevin. :lol:

Garf
Green Thumb

B.T.

applestar
Mod

Climbing Cutworm?
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=141383#141383

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Beet army worms have stripes and can be dark or green.They tend to show up in large numbers eating leaves first and then moving to fruit. Tomato fruit worm = corn ear worm are more common and usually lower in number.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes BT is in order.

And Applestar how long has it been since I said I love you. 8) I am 90% sure that is what it is.

Going mountain biking in the morning than onto the garden for more patrols.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

one more thing I have been meaning to get some BT, anyone know a good place to get some I don't even know where to look around here. If I were to ask most if not all would look at me like "what the heck is he talking about".

Garf
Green Thumb

THURICIDE

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I think that I got my Bonide brand Thuricide at Lowes. There are some other brands (Dipel et al) and you have to look closely at the ingredients to find "Bacillus thurigensis". You can also buy it on line.

applestar
Mod

@gixx -- :() :wink:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Dono,

The caterpillar you describe sounds like an Army Worm. Moths lay their eggs in the soil and the worms emerge in early spring into mid summer. They usually prefer my lawn over my garden. I see them ranging in color from light green to dark brown, but they always have two stripes running down the back. I never see birds eating them so they must taste pretty bad. I don't like to use it, but carboryl (Sevin) will do the job on them. Expect more to emerge from the soil after you kill the first wave. It's an ongoing continuous battle. The moths usually emerge in the deep south and ride the wind northward as springtime moves north. Their only intent is to lay eggs for the new generation.

Ted

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Well I couldn't find Thuricide locally but I did come up with some Dipel Dust.

Thanks ted That could be it as well. But would rather cut my plants down than use Sevin. No offense buddy. :wink:

pizzarrhea
Cool Member

Sorry that you've had bad luck with pests. So far I haven't had any problems except seeing tiny holes on very few pepper leaves.
Last season I planted peppermint because I heard it kept some pests away and it spread a lot this season, I don't know what specific pests it targets but so far so good.
Best of luck with the rest of your season!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Dono,

I don't use Sevin either, but have used Thuricide with some success in the past.

Ted

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”