Aorourke
Cool Member

Help - Tomatoes too close together

I have about 10 tomato plants fairly close together. Not sure what kind each one is as I planted two different types. One is your average tomato and the other type is a cherry. They got mixed up while up potting.

Anyway there are about 10 in a 3 meter by 1 1/2 meter space. Each one is probably only 1 foot apart!! :opps: I Haven't devoted enough time to remove the off shoots, a few have two main stems as well. They are pretty bushy now and have just started to produce fruit, but I don't want them getting squashed as they grow.

I have 1 stake beside each plant and have used covered wire as loose as possible for support. With them being so close together can I prune as much as possible of the non producing stems since there should be enough shade? Should I also keep the top few set of leaves for shade and prune as they grow?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Just keep them pruned to one main stem (and tied to the stakes) and keep all the leaves on that you can. If they split into two main stems you can keep those but don't let them do it again.

Once the plants get som height you can remove the lower leaves to get about a foot of airspace at the base of the plants to prevent fungal atack but you want all of the upper leaves you can get.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would put the tomato post one in front and the next behind the tomato so that they are grownig like they were in two rows. That will give them more light and easier to pick! I do that when I have a few that are really bushing! You can also put one in front the next straight up and the next behind line a three row planting if you know what I mean?

Aorourke
Cool Member

They are already about 4 1/2 foot tall. I have then planted in 4 rows and are planted in the shape of a triangle instead of spaced like a square. Two are planted beside each making 1 edge of a triangle then other in the next row taking the shape of a triangle. I hope that made sence. My thoughts at the time were to get as much in as little room as possible. Light bulb moment went wrong!! Lol

I will prune the bottom foot to start as a few leaves are yellow, probably to due restricted air. Then keep pruning as they grow. Yes I will keep the top leave to provide shade.

The stakes are already in and I don't think I'll be able to climb in and correct that as there is broccoli, peppers and onions behind them.
Total bed is 10' by 12'.

Thanks!!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

It might not be a bad idea to pull some of the middle ones, especially if they are so shaded that production is bad. It would help the rest and probably let you pick fruit.

Aorourke
Cool Member

They are my babies!! :shock: :lol:

I have done a good pruning and they are starting to look a lot better. They were wild!! :oops:
I have taken off a bit more that 1foot above the groundmfor about 5 or 6 of them so far. Managing to crawl in between them to get to some of the back ones! So glad we don't have many neighbors that can see me crawling about! Lol
I have been ruthless with it and even taking leaves from the main stems to they are bare again just up to just over a foot.

Off back out to get some more while I have the time.
Once that is done I'll sort out the supporting system so the fruit still has space to grow.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sorry I may have missed if you have any more room. But tomatoes can be very forgiving to transplanting. I take volunteers and put them in buckets with great success or just moving them to other areas of the garden. Last year I was in the process of planting a tomato when I accidentally broke the stem in 2 right at the soil level. I went ahead and planted and it did great.

So maybe that is an option. I know you have somewhere they could go, If you say you don't I can find room for them for you. :P I do garden kind of garden against the grain. 8)

Aorourke
Cool Member

Sadly no I don't have any more room, however I might have a spare container or two I could use!! :idea:

When I was taking away the stems with leaves I'm sure I saw the start of little flowers and I did think about sticking them in the ground to save them, but alas wasn't ment to be!!
I was in the middle of it tonight and took away a few of the stems with just leaves further up the top. I made sure there was still shade for the fruit. I'll keep on top of it as the season goes on.

I'll fed-ex them to you gixxerific!! :lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Aorourke wrote:Sadly no I don't have any more room, however I might have a spare container or two I could use!! :idea:

When I was taking away the stems with leaves I'm sure I saw the start of little flowers and I did think about sticking them in the ground to save them, but alas wasn't ment to be!!
I was in the middle of it tonight and took away a few of the stems with just leaves further up the top. I made sure there was still shade for the fruit. I'll keep on top of it as the season goes on.

No I meant I would find room for them on your property. You said you have extra pots so you lied, you do have room. :P :wink: I have veggies in all of my flower gardens of course mators get a little big. but get creative.

Make sure you don't trim he main stem that will stop the plant from producing any more fruit, unless that is what you want.

Best thing to fix this problem is to make the garden bigger for next year if you can. I have been adding a little (sometimes a big) bit to mine every year I have here. About 4-5 years now. I miss my old perfect yet small garden, I wonder how it's doing. :(

mmmfloorpie

gixxerific wrote:
Aorourke wrote:Sadly no I don't have any more room, however I might have a spare container or two I could use!! :idea:

No I meant I would find room for them on your property. You said you have extra pots so you lied, you do have room. :P :wink: I have veggies in all of my flower gardens of course mators get a little big. but get creative.

Make sure you don't trim he main stem that will stop the plant from producing any more fruit, unless that is what you want.

Best thing to fix this problem is to make the garden bigger for next year if you can. I have been adding a little (sometimes a big) bit to mine every year I have here. About 4-5 years now. I miss my old perfect yet small garden, I wonder how it's doing. :(
I have tomatoes that have 4 or so secondary stems and the plants are almost 5 feet tall... My intentions were to try to limit them to one main stem but I just can't bring myself to prune off new growth when they are young lol. That and they grew so damn quickly I lost track.

So you are saying not to cut off the leaves from the main stem? Good to know.

I haven't seen any bees this summer and I'm worried about pollination :S

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Don't worry about pollination. Wind, or some tapping of the stem gets the pollen in the air and they self-pollinate.

Aorourke
Cool Member

Maybe I've over done it then as I have removed leaves from the main stem! :oops: It is only about 1 foot of the plant.

I don't have time to dig up anymore. I do plan on expanding for next year.
I was a bad mom and told the kds we are selling the trampoline to expand my veggies so I can make money selling them at the local farmers market!! :lol: they knew I was joking. :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Watch this video it is a great one for someone in your predicament.

Hope it helps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc6_ATF4lp4

Aorourke
Cool Member

:D :D :D Thank you soo much, it has helped at lot!! I have been researching more and more the past few days on how to prune them and keep up with how they are growing. Looks like I didnt over do it, and also looks like I have to spend a bit more time pruning and cutting off the ends of some just past the fruit, mainly tidy them up a bit more. Another excuse to escape out the house! :D, looks like hubby will be on bed time duty this summer!! :lol:

Next year I might just do the square foot garden, but just start slow with the tomatoes first at one end and see how it goes.

Now onto research about pumpkins and cucumbers!!

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”