Father's Daughter
Cool Member

Cherry hit a dead end?

One of my two cherry tomato plants seems to have hit a dead end. It's about 2 1/2 feet tall, looks very healthy, has produced two flower clusters on two separate stems, but has put out no new growth for the last two weeks. There is no sign of any new suckers or leaf growth anywhere on the plant. Anyone have experience with this type of behavior? I'm wondering if those two clusters are all I'm going to see from this plant. It's neighbor is from the same seed packet and it's growing normally.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Do the flower trusses terminate the branches (come out at the base of a mature leaf with no sign of 'baby leaves")? If so it sounds like you have on of the dwarf determinate patio cherries varieties.

Father's Daughter
Cool Member

That's exactly what's happening, and after almost a week, there is still no sign of additional growth or flowering beyond the initial two clusters. Since it's from the same seed pack as it's neighbor (which is growing like a typical indeterminate cherry plant), I'm guessing it was an oddball or mutant seed.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what it produces for tomatoes from those two clusters and then yank it out. Thanks for yourhelp.

Father's Daughter
Cool Member

I guess it's life will be spared. Quite a few of the branches now have new growth from the little bumps along the larger stems, so it apparently just took a little vacation.

BP

I have a sweet 100 cherry tomato plant in the topsy turvy tree (other varieties in there too) and all I have fertilized with is bone meal. It's 6-9-7 and I have over 100 tomatoes on it. Try a little bone meal.

pizzarrhea
Cool Member

I actually had a similar issue last year.
They still grew tomatoes but it never grew higher than 3 feet.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”