tedln
Super Green Thumb

Bobberman wrote:Agway has a nice variety of seeds. Don't be fooled by the bigger tomato plant at $5 each compare to a half the size 6 pak for $3. The smallr tomatoes seem to catch up with the big tomato in no time and even look stronger! I alwas look for the healthy stems and not the size!
I was in a local nursery in early March looking for specific varieties. Most of their seedlings were 12" tall, but they had a single tray of tiny little Black Cherry plants less than 3" tall for $0.75 each. I bought some of the heirloom, 12" tall plants and on impulse, I bought four of the tiny plants. I didn't expect the tiny plants to perform well and was concerned if they really were Black Cherry because of their size. They have now taken over their space and are equal in size to the larger plants. It seems the size of purchased seedlings doesn't matter a lot if the growing conditions are good.

Ted

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Many comments in this thread debate the value of raising tomato plants from seed. This past winter was my first to grow from seed and all of the plants I grew were eventually killed during an unexpected frost. It didn't really matter to me because I was able to replace most of my varieties from nurseries. It did cause me to question the value of growing from seed if I can buy most of the same plants from nurseries.

I plan on growing from seed again starting in January for one very simple reason. I enjoy it. It gives me the opportunity to be involved in growing something even when my garden is covered in snow. I detest the reality shows and the other mind numbing garbage available on television and prefer to simply not waste electricity on television. For some reason, my book reading thirst has declined from one per day, to one per week; and now one per month. My books are stacking up.

I now find myself excited about the prospect of a bountiful harvest of fresh vegetables from my garden as are my extended family, my friends, and my neighbors. At the same time, my mind is beginning to formulate a list of tomatoes for which I need to gather seed for next years garden.

Ted

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I always buy small plant trays they usually have 6 or 9 plants to a tray for about $2 to $2.50 per tray.

This year I plan to buy 30 Beef Steak plants and nothing else.

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Home Depot has 4 packs of better boy and early girl for $1.68. They are small about 5 inches high! There big single tomatoes are $5.98 and are only 10 inch high! My plants are doing great with 15 or more varities and several 1000,s plants!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

tedln wrote:Many comments in this thread debate the value of raising tomato plants from seed. This past winter was my first to grow from seed and all of the plants I grew were eventually killed during an unexpected frost. It didn't really matter to me because I was able to replace most of my varieties from nurseries. It did cause me to question the value of growing from seed if I can buy most of the same plants from nurseries.

Ted
You can't blame the cost of anything on an unexpected frost. You could have planted store bought plants and had the same thing happen. :D

Than again you said you liked doing the seedlings. so it is like the commercial.

Seeds: $2.00
Seedling Mix $4.00
Miscellaneous pots: Free
Enjoyment in doing it yourself: Priceless

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”