Garf
Green Thumb

Summer Crop in Miami

I am attempting the impossible. I am attempting to grow tomato in Summer in Miami Florida. Besides the Everglades, I have a few Sunmaster started and others will follow.
[img]https://www.mastercontrollinelinksite.info/Gardening/sunmaster1a.jpg[/img]

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Garf,

I admire you ambition! I lived in FL for few years, St. Pete and Tampa, I remember how hot and humid those summers were!!!

I think you are on the right path, selective the varieties are known to do better in the heat, and I think if you can find a way to provide some kind of mild screen over the plants to block some of the intense summer sun, you may be ok. Even if you get 30% of the fruit compare to the "good part of the season", still will taste better than anything from the store :lol:

Good luck!

Regards,
D

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Plant them in part shade or provide some kind of screening. I want to see pics of ripe fruit!

hoodville
Newly Registered

I live 15 miles north of galveston texas.gardening here is mutch differant than northern climets. here are some tips I have learnd over the years. first try to plant as early as possable.I usualy plant bedding plants between mid feb to mid march.heat kills and tomatoes stop producing when the temp reaches mid 90s wich can happen here in june.also grow heat tollerant veriatys.heat wave, creol,celeberty, my garden gets partial shad in the after noon from about 3:00 onn the hotest part of the day.be careful to much shad hinders photosinthises{hope I spelled that rite}.any way to much shade is not good plants still need plenty of sun.also water in the evening when its cooler gives time for water to soak in the soil watering in the mornnings just steams plants in the heat of the day. and use organic fertalizer.it dosent seem to burn up plants like mirical grow or other chemical fertalizers do. hope this helps good luck

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”