Jalopy19
Cool Member

Favorite "Patio" type tomato?

I am going to try some container tomato plants this year and want to get them started soon. Anyone have a favorite determinate "bush" or "patio" type tomato variety?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

If you want to avoid the commercial red fruited varieties...

Grushovka (pink) has a nice sweet flavor. Golden dwarf champion and new big dwarf are indeterminant dwarfs, and will produce over a long period. NBD is equivlent in flavor to the larger pink beefsteak heirloom varieties. Lime Green Salad is an interesting green when ripe with a bit of an unusual flavor. Green Sausage is a green paste good for salsa and salads. It has a prostrate "bird's nest" habit good for a hanging basket or elevated pot.

erlyberd
Cool Member

I was very happy with Tiny Tim, completely loaded with fruit at 12-18" height in 3 gal containers, so heavy with cherries that the stems still broke while being staked and tied 3/4 the way up. More fruit than foliage is true of the description. A cage may prove the solution for next year. I thought the taste was good as well. Surely not comparable to a beefsteak but rather nice for an tiny little dwarf. The one grown in my window sill this winter proved to be much more acid in flavor for some reason? The cooler growing temps? Not sure. Also, I liked Uralskiy Ranniy, a short 1-2' Russian variety with pretty good taste and super early. Extreme Bush would be my third best Det from last year. Heavy setter a bit over two feet and good flavor. All these were organically grown in 3 gal pots inside a hoop house. I've heard New Big Dwarf is a good one and may be getting it.

filmnet

Tumbling tom wonderful plants

Jalopy19
Cool Member

Thank you all for your suggestions. I ended up finding one at Totally Tomato called "Bush Early Girl". I've always been a fan of the Early Girl hybrid so I figured I couldn't go too far wrong. Has anyone tried this one?

ruggr10
Green Thumb

Last year I had 4 sun gold tomatoes on my lower deck in 5 gallon buckets from HD. They did great and they are now my all time favorite tomato!

tomakers

ruggr10 wrote:Last year I had 4 sun gold tomatoes on my lower deck in 5 gallon buckets from HD. They did great and they are now my all time favorite tomato!
What did you do with that many cherry tomatoes? :D You must have been hard pressed to pick them, unless you have children. I only grow 1 because I have a ton to give away with just 1 plant.
Regarding the original question, I have always just used "Patio" for that type of thing, but I think Kimberly would work well, although it is a compact indeterminate not determinate.
Happy Gardening,
Tom

ruggr10
Green Thumb

What to do with all those tomatoes? It's just my wife, myself, and our 1 year old boy. Well, I had I had 13 other cherry or grape tomato plants too! I gave away a ton and ate them like candy!

I couldn't help myself. Every time I saw a different type, I had to try them. I may have more types this year. The more unique the better!!!

applestar
Mod

Llast year, I made tomato jam (not the spicy chutney like recipe but simply made with sugar) with the overabundance of sweet grape tomatoes. *I* thought it tasted like strawberry jam, but the kids insisted they could tell the difference. :roll:

This year, I'm going to sneak them into a pie and NOT tell them. :wink:
(I'm also going to grow some ground cherries called Cossack Pineapple 8) )

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”