farmergirl
Newly Registered

Tough tomato skins

Are tough tomato skins an indication of a cultivating problem or do certain types just have tough skins?

decam0

Hi farmergirl
I'm not sure about the cultivation bit, but certain types of tomato DO have tough skins.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

What varieties of tomatoe are your growing?

decam0

Erm.....not really sure. My brother-in-law gave me eight plants - four varieties - but he didn't tell me what they were. I think one was Tigerella (red and orange stripes), another was Marmande, and I think one was Big Boy. Most of the Marmande and Big Boy were hit with blossom end rot. None of them were particularly good. If I grow tomatoes next year I'm going to stick with Gardeners' Delight.

farmergirl
Newly Registered

Opabinia
Not sure what kind they are. I thought I was buying beefsteak but they turned out to be a type of cherry tomato.
Farmergirl

fancy

I have learned if I leave the tomato on the vine as long as possible the skins will be tender. If my HUSBAND picks one before it is completely ripe and puts it in the window to ripen the skin is usually a little tough. I like my tomatoes to pull from the vine easily then I know they are ripe.
Darlene

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, allowing the tomatoes to ripen on the vine is the beauty of growing them at home. This is why home grown tomatoes have so much flavour. On the vine, the tomatoe plants deposit sugars into the fruit, if allowed to ripen on a window sill or in a paper bag, no added sugars are placed in the tomatoes and therefore, less flavour.

Also, whatever biochemical pathway that has led to your skins being converted to flesh will generall not occur on a window sill.

Beefsteak and ultra boy tend to have thicker skins. Lot's of variety of tomatoes out there, try something different next year.

fancy

My favorite tomatoes are Better Boys for the flavor and size. They seem to do best in my yard too.
Darlene

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Darlene!

I've recently been enlightened with all the heirloom varieties out there and just love them. So rich, and full of flavour.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”