hardland

Wondering what's the best Tomato for Sth FL in winter??

I'm in Sth FL, Broward county. I'm wondering what the best Tomato for a sth Fl winter is. I have some Cherry, Better boy and purple russian in pots from seed right now, they will be going in the ground end of October. We have a weird season here, I think I shoould be able to harvest the Oct toms in Mid January. I want to start some from seed in the next few weeks, to put in the ground in Jan, harvest in April.
I have read about early, mid and late season varieties. I'm wondering how that correlates to a FL winter. Thanks

Garf
Green Thumb

I have been told that in so. florida winter, most any cooler weather variety will do well. So florida summer is another story.

Phil Brown
Miami, Florida

hardland

Garf wrote:I have been told that in so. florida winter, most any cooler weather variety will do well. So florida summer is another story.

Phil Brown
Miami, Florida
Thank you Phil.
I suppose the unknown down here in Sth FL is how the winter is going to be. Last year we had a very cold winter. On sth E coast it got down in the high 30's and some days did not make it higher than 50', thats very unusual for coastal Sth FL. I have seen some winters where it barely dropped below 50' all winter and was in the 80's most of the time. I guess I'll try a few different season types and see what happens.

Garf
Green Thumb

Remember 1972? I got out of work at 2am and there was ICE on my windshield. Not frost, ICE.

keen gardener

Hi Hardland
I am in Australia and are you able to get Mighty Red and Gross Lisse? They grow well in our tropical climate.
Cheers Keen Gardener

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”