tedln
Super Green Thumb

applestar,

I rarely know what "should" be done. I've just found a way that suits me. It really doesn't take long to remove the skins in the hot water bath. I couldn't do it if it took long and was tedious. The same slotted spoon that I have used to extract the skins after cooking the tomatoes down works equally well to remove the blanched tomatoes from the hot water and dip them in cold, works well and quickly. I've tried all of the methods before and simply prefer the hot water bath method. Like you, I have even used the strainer method to remove the seeds and skin after cooking, but I found the seeds and skin clogged the strainer quickly making it difficult to force the tomato pulp through the strainer. I prefer to leave the seeds in. I've watched chefs use teaspoons to remove the seeds and gel from tomatoes before preparing the tomatoes for cooking or serving. It bugs me for them to remove the gel which contains most of the flavor.

Ted

applestar
Mod

Thanks, Ted.

I should clarify that I actually use the food mill with the medium hole disk. I find that works well in small batches (about 4 cups "strained" to 2~3 cups at a time). I like the medium hole disk because it lets some of the seeds through but not all, unlike the small hole disk (which clogs, as you said) but doesn't let small bits of skin through like the large hole disk. I like the resulting texture. My mill came with these 3 size hole disks -- I think that's usually the case.

When I worked in the University cafeteria for work study, they had this handy gadget for removing the stem end of tomatoes -- it was a metal spoon about the size of 1/2 teaspoon with serrated edges. I think I'd like to find that gadget. To remove the stem end with a knife, it's easier -- and safer -- to cut the tomato in half, at which point, the boiling water method isn't the ideal way.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I've been leaving the skins on for my pasta sauce this year and it is tons easier as everything gets pureed anyway. We haven't noticed any unpleaswant texture from the sauce and I like the thought of extra fiber. I always leave the seeds in to get the taste from the gel and the visual appeal--visable seeds spell homemade goodness to us. But for salsa, I do prefer to peel and hand dice the tomatoes for a chunky salsa texture. Yum! I'm canning up another quart of sauce as I write this. . .^^Oh, and I got my tomato corer at the Dollar Tree. but I still just use a paring knife. You can get more control if you put your finger on the flat of the blade as you cut--holding the knife more sideways rather than vertical.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”