rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

PS I was just out picking up the CSA produce and heard the weather forecast. Radio was saying "near-record low of 45 tonight"! Just as well I picked the tomatoes. All the house plants that are still outside may suffer a bit.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

RG, you said you put in onions. Isn't it way too late for onions? What kind are you planting?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Onions, like garlic, over winter. They will be ready sometime in the spring or summer. I planted some green onions and some bulb onions. The best onions I had this year were the ones planted last year. The ones I planted this spring never got very big.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have never tried onions in the fall but I may give it a go RBG. What do I have to loose right? I still have a bunch of sets here so why not.

I did pull a few more tomatoes yesterday as well Brussels sprouts and some other things are going in today.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've heard that you can plant bulb onions to overwinter and come up in the spring, but have always though that it was just for warm climates with mild winters. You say that you've had success with this method in the past?

Hmmm, maybe I should re-think this idea. Do you just plant the seeds and do you use any mulch to protect them from the frost?

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”