Garf
Green Thumb

Tomatoes in Miami, Fla.

I don't know how many people realize it, but the growing season is reversed in Miami. During the summer it is nearly impossible to grow tomatoes. there are supposed to be a few varieties that can set fruit in this heat, but the rain, diseases, and insects combined makes it nearly impossible. Has anyone tried to grow tomatoes in summer in south Florida?

thanrose
Greener Thumb

You can sometimes get cherry types to limp along through the summer, but even they won't set fruit at the temps we've been having. My Sweet 100 has shriveled up, but the Husky Cherry has some new growth near the roots. That one set some fruit a few weeks ago, but I can't find them now.

Generally, spring and fall are when I grow tomatoes. Mid June to mid September are just too consistently hot. For you, that might be May to October as a no-grow zone?

Garf
Green Thumb

I would be willing to bet that the variety "Everglades" would work here. It's a cherry tomato that escaped from someones garden long ago and propagated in the glades. It's adapted to the swamp. Too bad it's so small.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

My absolute favorite tomato is a garden escapee called Maine Tomato Berry. Tiny little sweet acid nubs. Did pretty well in Orlando area well into the summer as I recall. Reseeded itself, too.

I'll have to look for Everglades tomato seeds, maybe for fall.

Garf
Green Thumb

I have several varieties started for this growing season in Miami. The last batches are doing better because I am shielding them from the heavy rains.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

There were several heat adapted varieties released through the Homestead research station. One is called Homestead. I seriously doubt if they would do well all Summer, but they might extend the pre and post summer crops. If they taste like those things you all send up north all winter it might be best to do without. :shock:

Garf
Green Thumb

I have seed for Homestead 24, Heatwave 2, Tropic, and Everglades. Maybe one will work. In the meantime, the winter season is a long one, If I can avoid frost. I already have Tasty Lee and Super Choice started. Soon I will start some Mortgage Lifter and Aussie.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”