JR05

BER on only one plant?

I have three tomato plans, two cherry and one Roma (first year gardening).

The cherry tomatoes have been doing AWESOME. I have harvested a bunch and they are perfect.

The Romas on the other hand, have BEM like crazy. The bottom 1/4 of almost all of the tomatoes, including the green ones are all rotten away. They do ripen regardless, but it is strange. I have a few that do not have BER and I hope to eat a few of those at least.

All of these plans are in the same soil with the same tomato fertilizer and are all planted in the same row even.

Why am I only getting BER on the romas? Maybe they take more water than the cherry ones and thus since I have been watering them all the same, these are under-watered? Same with fertilizer?

I did read the sticky, just wondering why I only have BER with one plant when everything else is the same.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Paste tomatoes will always develop BER before cherry and beefsteaks. Why? I don't know.....But they always will...

EG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Th add to EG each plant variety and type will also have different needs and genetic disposition to do certain thing at certain times.

I was just informed that certain tomatoes are more likely to crack radially some more likely to crack laterally while others as you have noticed will succumb to BER while others won't. etc etc.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

In the BER sticky and linked articles it states that the shape of the fruit affects the vascular system in the fruit and the transport of calcium into the end of the fruit. That is why plum shaped tomatoes are more susceptible to BER.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

TZ - that makes sense, thanks.

EG

JR05

Well that explains it. It sounds like Roma and paste style tomatoes are more susceptible to BER than the others.

I guess I will have to work on this next year and try some of the BER fixes.

Thanks for the replies.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”