mooseantlers

Tomatoes turning black

After all the hoopla, we decided to try one of those upside-down tomato tree planters this year (in addition to ones planted in-ground). This 'tree' consists of the usual 'bag' with 3 planting holes.

The 3 plants seem very healthy & we've got quite a few blossoms along with a number of small tomatoes.

My issue is that several of the tomatoes have had to be removed as they have turned black at the bottom of the fruit. I'm assuming that this isn't BER as it's at the bottom of the fruit.

We water the container often & have used Miracle-Gro for tomatoes on a semi-regular basis now that the fruit have appeared. (Semi-regular means every 2-3 weeks).

It's been suggested that we are over-watering. On the hot days we've had over the last week (temps near 100), and unbeknownst to me, my wife watered the container with 3+ gallons of water in the morning while I was at work & later, with her at work and I'm back at home, I watered them again as the plants were drooping badly. And with the ultra-hot temps this past week, we've taken the cover off the planter thinking that the roots, etc. were being overheated.

Any ideas or suggestions would be very helpful.

Thank you!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

To me it sounds like BER. The bottom of the fruit is where it starts, opposite of the stem.

Give [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25876]this sticky[/url] a read and you should find some help there.

Good luck

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Like gixx, I'd also say that you have blossom end rot on your tomatoes. Since the frequency of watering is in high demand because of the soil drying out so fast, it doesn't surprise me that the problem is present. After all of the grief that topsy turvy planters have caused backyard tomato growers for the past few years, I'm surprised someone hasn't sued the company for false advertisement. The biggest problem is that it doesn't have enough soil mass to maintain moisture.

Anyway, BER is caused by anything cultural that interrupts the constant and sufficient supply of calcium to newly forming cells in the fruits - and frequency of watering is perhaps the most critical factor involved.

EG

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”