sassyjvg

Too Many Tomatoes- What Do I Do With Them????

As you can tell, I am a first timer. I bought a few trays of small starter plants, put them in the ground, and two months later this is what I got:

[img]https://i883.photobucket.com/albums/ac39/sassyjvg/Gardening%20Majic%20My%20First%20Garden/TomatoPlants.jpg[/img]

I don't know what I was expecting but there are but only so many lettuce based salads, and deep freezing in bags I can do. Anybody got yummy recipes or other ideas for this mater jungle? The tomatoes are developing quickly and I'm afraid I won't be prepared, help! :shock:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are kidding, right? :) How could there be such a thing as too many tomatoes?

Check out our recipes forum. You will find recipes there for fried green tomatoes, spaghetti, pizza, tomato sauce.

I didn't notice any salsa recipes, but fresh tomato salsa is wonderful.

Tomato paste (uses up a lot of tomatoes to boil them down to paste).

Ketchup

Tomato soup

tomato pie

grilled, broiled, oven-roasted or stuffed tomatoes

tomato ice cream (I'm not kidding, google it)

tomato jam or jelly

plain canned tomatoes

here's some nice fresh tomato recipes:

[url=https://www.midwestliving.com/food/fruits-veggies/12-fresh-tomato-recipes-youll-love/;jsessionid=YPZM14FKHLYYKCQCEAQSBHQ?catref=cat4340028&page=2]fresh tomato recipes[/url]

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

Very easy to can tomatoes, you don't even need a pressure canner. I just fill up both sides of the sink with tomatoes then pour boiling water over them and let em sit for a few minutes. Then I drain them. Then as I take the skins off, I crush them over a large pot. When they are all skinned and crushed in the pot, I bring em to a boil. Then I ladel them into sterile jars and cover them with sterile lids and bands. Process them in boiling water canner for 15 minutes. ( not pressure canner)

They store for at least a year without any refridgeration.

GardenJester

depends on what kind of tomatoe you planted. Cherry tomatoes are for snacking or salads. Beefsteaks and other 1 pounders are good for slicing. Romas are good for sauces and canning.

LindsayArthurRTR
Green Thumb

When I have more than I can handle. I mix them all up and can them together :) I'm not picky about variety and they are amazing every time!

jmoore

I'm sure your neighbors would appreciate some fresh tomato's.

sassyjvg

I do agree the neighbors will appreciate me sharing some of the tomatoes especially since some are complaining about this year's yield. I am especially glad I have all the contributors that helped me to think outside the tomatoe garden salad, cut and freeze box. Now I can "re-invent the wheel" many many times over. Thanks a bunches!

Onei
Newly Registered

I tend to make a large pot of pasta / pizza sauce which I freeze in small portions. These are great for a quick meal either defrost in the microwave or overnight in the refrigerator. Soups are also another favorite.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

We made over 80 pints of salsa last year in addition to pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce and tomato juice. That was off of 5 plants! This year there are 11.......... :twisted:

GardenJester

Gazpocho and tomatoe sandwich for lunch... everyday...

sun dried tomatoe slices.

ratatouille for dinner

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I love to make tacos for lunch with fresh garden tomatos. We will have tacos several times every week.

I make taco sauce, enchilada sauce and salsa.

I CAN 100 pints of tomatoes in Mason jars for winter so we can make chili and soups.

Slided tomatoes on sandwiches are good.

BLT for breakfast.

Home made tomato basil soup is good.

Garden PIZZA. I live to cover the whole top of the pizza with sliced tomatoes.

My favorite is PICO DE GALLO SAUCE with garden cilantro.

mtmickey

Last year we tried dehydrating cherry tomatoes. Turned out fabulous. They are a tasty little snack and also easy to throw in soups or sauces.

lj in ny

Bruschetta!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Take 'em to the farmer's market :wink:.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”