LarryP
Newly Registered

Blossom drop

I was told there is some type of spray that can be used to prevent blossom drop. Some type of blossom set that has hormones that will allow the blossoms to set and hold. I massage and talk to my tomatoes every day and it is frustrating to give all this tender loving care and have your blossoms fall off. :(

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You need to figure out what is stressing your plants.

Blossom drop is a reaction to stress -- the plant drops the blossoms to focus on survival. The stress can be from a variety of causes-- temperatures too low or too high, humidity too low or too high, too much or too little nitrogen, lack of water, too much water. Early in the season blossom drop often relates to night time temps going below 55. Later on, it can relate to night time temperatures too high. Night time temps are most critical for the fruiting and night time temps much above 70 can inhibit fruiting as well.

There is a blossom set spray that contains plant growth hormone. It's available from Burpee's and many other places:

[url=https://www.burpee.com/product/vegetables/tomatoes/tomato+helpers/tomato+%26+vegetable+blossom+set+spray+%3Cbr%3E8+oz..do?ch=SEM]blossom set spray[/url]

If you read the customer reviews at the bottom of the page, you will find them very mixed, with some people saying great stuff and some people saying it is useless. Personally, I think you are better off figuring out what is causing the problem and deal with that, rather than treating the symptom. I have never used the spray so can't say anything about it from personal experience.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”