sjohnson9206

Is this blight or too much water?

Here in Indiana we've been getting lots of rain, I don't think my garden has had a chance to fully dry out since it was planted a month ago. My yellow pear tomatoes are at the lowest spot in the garden (will be brought up next year) and seem to be taking it the worst.

Sorry for the blur, but there are brown edges to the yellow leaves. The green leaves are very healthy.
[img]https://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/sjohnson9206/Garden/2010-05-18/downsized_0518000733.jpg[/img]

Here is a brandywine which is right next to this yellow pear. No signs of yellow, but it's also at the "top" of the slight hill.
[img]https://i453.photobucket.com/albums/qq254/sjohnson9206/Garden/2010-05-18/0518000735a.jpg[/img]

My last couple romas in the next row over and in a slight depression are also showing the yellowing of the leaves which makes me think it's just water.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It is pretty hard for me to tell much from the picture. It is probably best to play it safe and assume it is blight. If you wait too long and it is blight you will loose the tomatoes and it will spread to the rest of the tomatoes.

1 tablespoon of Baking Soda in the soil and sprayed on the plant is suppose to be good for blight.

Copper is also suppose to be good for blight but I refuse to put that on my tomatoes. Copper sulfate dissolved in water works. What goes in comes out I don't want to eat copper.

jimmykx250

Yes that looks like it could be blight. I'm not a fan of chemical treatments so I'm not sure what to sugggest other than start with new plants and don't put the new plants in the same place. Isnt it early to have your tomatos in the ground? I always wait till memorial day weekend?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Type milk treatment into the Search the Forum feature to get a lot of information about another alternative. It is a totally natural organic fungicide, which can be used preventatively. So you can treat your plants in case it might be blight (though it doesn't quite look like it to me). I'm thinking about doing a preventative treatment on mine this weekend, just because we are stuck in the same cloudy, wet, rainy, no sunshine weather pattern. It's conditions that are very conducive to fungi and my plants did end up with it last year when we were in similar weather pattern, so why wait?

sjohnson9206

Thank you all for your responses.

I was planning on trying the milk treatment with them, but I had wanted it to dry up a bit. Looks like I may get my chance tomorrow.

Jimmy, I got sucked into a false spring weather pattern.. good weather for 2 weeks (sunshine, 70-80s) and figured it would be OK to put in the garden. The weekend that we added the compost and planted is when the weather went downhill.

The tomatoes are fairing better than the peppers at least.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”