garden5
Super Green Thumb

What's better: Plant Tomatoes Deep or Very Deep?

Is it better to plant the tomato slightly deeper in the ground than the root-ball or should you plant about 1/2 the plant?

Which do you think would yield better results?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Plant them deep up the or past the seed leaves. Even more, I sometimes will plant half of the plant sometimes more sometimes less.

Some people plant ever last bit of them except few inches of stem. The whole stem will grow new roots that is why you plant deep.

Even very tall plants can be laid on their side with just a nub sticking out of the ground it will grow vertically towards the light.

Binkalette

I picked up some 18" tomatoes from the nursery today, and the instructions on the pot said to bury 2/3 of the plant! It seemed a bit much but I did it anyway. Now to see how it turns out. :)

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

You want to plan as deep as you can without burying the whole plant. Atleast a good 6 inches.

Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

The deeper you plant it, the more roots you will get. It will send out roots all up and down all the buried stem. And a plant with better roots is going to be more vigorous, and produce better.

The only drawback, could be, if in a cold climate the soil might be cooler farther down. But for hot climates, or once the ground has warmed, go deep as you can, but leave some leaves to feed the plant.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”