JWSJ
Newly Registered

Taste Difference Between Determinate & Indeterminate?

Is there a taste difference between determinate and indeterminate tomatoes?

I'm looking to grow a few more indoor plants and determinate would seem to be the way to go, but I don't know enough about taste.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Yes and no. Each tomato variety has its own unique flavor. Being determinant or not doesn't figure in to it. I have two sibling cherry tomatoes from a cross I grew out. One is determinant, one is indeterminant, and they taste exactly the same. But there are all colors and flavors of both determinant and indeterminant varieties. If you are talking about plain old red tomatoes, then yes, some determinants may have less flavor because with so many fruit developing at one time there is limited sugar and nutrients available to each fruit, but its not a universal problem.

If you are looking for varieties to grow indoors look at some dwarf varieties as well, New Big Dwarf, Golden Dwarf Champion, Lime Green Salad, etc.

By indoors do you mean a greenhouse, lights, sunroom?

applestar
Mod

I have two sibling cherry tomatoes from a cross I grew out. One is determinant, one is indeterminant, and they taste exactly the same.
That's neat -- so then you get exactly the same tasting fruits but the growth habits are different in all the usual ways, including harvest all at once vs. keeps on growing until frost?

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Yup, the cross was Lime Green Salad x unknown (probably Pink Ping Pong cherry). Lime Green Salad is chock full of neat genes.

It is
Determinant,
Dwarf
Multiflora (dozens of flower per truss)
Green when ripe (gf gene and yellow fruit gene)
Yellow skin gene

Pink Ping Pong is a genetically boring indeterminant clear skin pink.

The first generation was an indeterminant red cherry (dominant traits), but in the second generation I got all kinds of things, red, black, yellow green fruits, dwarfs and full size, determinant and indeterminant for both. The unusual sugary sweetnes of pink Ping Pong seems to be coming through with many of them.

The only two non dwarf plants I grew out last year were identical red cherries (dominant traits) except for one being determinant and the other being indeterminate.

Second generation of a cross between indeterminate and determinate will give you three indeterminates babies to one determinate.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Celebrity is one of my very reliable favorites. To me the fruit is similar in size and flavor to 'Better Boy' or 'Whopper' both of which are indeteminate.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I agree with TZ. The main diff between ind... and dert.. are when and how the produce fruits.

You would be better to find some dwarfs as suggested. I'm growing some [url=https://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Spiridonovskie]Spiridonovskie[/url] that I received from another member on here. They are reported to grow roughly 2 feet. It is however a determinate. With cluster of smaller fruits.

You probably won't be able to find this variety because it looks to not be a commercial variety. But there will be many out there if you search for dwarf variety like this. These kinds of plants are great for container growing.

Good luck.

JWSJ
Newly Registered

TZ -OH6 wrote:By indoors do you mean a greenhouse, lights, sunroom?
Hydroponic - currently, I move it outdoors in the morning for sun.

In the winter I'll get lights.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”