RobinDz62
Newly Registered

I need help with container/bucket gardening

This my first time at trying to do a home garden in pots. I need help with container/bucket gardening. If there are any pros in this area of gardening I would love to hear from you.

I have chosen to start with 1 tomatoe plant I purchased from Lowe's.
It alread had yellow buds and it is currently in a 2.5 gallon container.

What do I need to do next (if anything)?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You may want to repot it into a slightly larger container right away. Or you can wait until after the last frost date for your area, then plant it in a container of at least 5-gallon size. Make sure the container has plenty of drainage holes in the bottom.

When I plant my tomatoes into their final container, I gently pull off the lower branches up to about halfway up the main stem. Then, I plant the plant deep enough so that all that stem is underground. The stem sprouts additional roots and makes for a sturdier plant.

Don't use regular garden soil in the containers, unless you amend it carefully so that it drains quickly.

You may want to look over some of the threads in our [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21]Container Gardening section[/url]. :)
Last edited by Kisal on Fri Apr 02, 2010 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

5 gallon bucket is better size for growing a full sized tomato plant in. Then you need a cage for it or some stakes or put the pot next to a trellis or something to support the vine. Container needs to be where it gets at least 6 hrs sun a day. Keep watered. Unless you are getting good amounts of rain, a tomato plant in a container probably needs to be watered every day, they dry out faster in containers.

Wait for wonderful tomatoes!

SP8
Green Thumb

I grow all of my stuff in containers and have had a lot of ups and downs.
Check out my blog, there might be some stuff in there to help you avoid a few downs.

Mile Hi Gardener
Newly Registered

First, what kind of tomato plant do you have? That will determine the size of container you need. A "Tiny Tim" tomato may only need a 5 gallon container, whereas a Sweetie 100 tomato (a huge sprawling plant that can grow to 8 ft or more) will need at least a 20 gallon container to produce optimally.

RobinDz62
Newly Registered

I thank all 4 of you who replied for the information.
It looks like my next step is to get this plant re-potted.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”