Ozark Lady
Greener Thumb

I have some tomato seeds that are just not germinating, the rest of the tray is up and going, and this 3 pack is nothing at all.

I think I will try that and plant those again.

Let me see if I get this... non-viable seeds you will see, what?

You said, blank, okay the shell is invisible, and in a good one, we see the baby, by blank do you mean we can look through the no good ones?
Do you mean, it is not circled, just a glob?

I wonder if low germination, or poorly germinating, can be predicted by the vigor in the seedlings seen? Will some be small and misshapened?

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

What I would personally consider non-viable seeds using this bleaching method - are the seeds where you see just a milky colored, almost solid substance inside the shell, no definition, unlike those little curly pig tails of viable seeds you see in the picture.

As for the misshapen seedlings - I believe that all seedlings of the same variety should germinated relatively same time, and would be about the same size, with distinct cotyledons. Those seedlings that are unable to shake off the seed shell (even after couple of day of misting them a little with water), I wouldn't bother.

Good luck on the second batch! Let us know how it goes!

Regards,
D

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I've had quite a few of those where the stem would grow, but the leaves (cotyledons) were still encased in the shell. I could tell they were having difficulty shaking the shell off. I didn't know if they were strongly attached or if a proven method of removing the shell case existed. I first attempted to remove the shell by simply pulling on it. I pulled the entire plant out tap root and all. I then held the tiny plant with one hand and pulled the shell case with the other. When the case came off, the leaves immediately unfurled. I replaced the plant into the same hole I pulled it from. That was three days ago and the plant is doing fine.

Since then, I hold the plant in the soil with one hand and pull the shell with the other. I haven't damaged any so far.

Since I've never grown tomatoes from seed, I assumed they are very delicate. In fact, they seem to be pretty tough and resilient with a determination to grow if the conditions are right.

Ted

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”