tcarroll
Newly Registered

Pruning Tomatoes

Anyone had any luck with pruning tomatoes to keep them at bay,say 4 to 5 ft vine height?Just curious,I am growing some indoors under lights and so far they are doing quite well.I would like to keep them about that height.

[img]https://i38.tinypic.com/30wtfo4.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Try the Search the Forum feature for that. We've had long discussions of the pros and cons and ins and outs of pruning tomatoes. There's tons already written in the Tomato Forum about it! Enjoy!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

If you are pruning to control height [= topping] its not much of a problem compared to other issues caused by lights. The relatively low light is going to make the plants leggy and production will be greatly reduced. The taller the plant the less intense the light is away from the source so the lower part of the plant is going to suffer. Letting the plants sprawl solves the height/light problem but then you have problems with floor space.

Your best bet would have been to start out with short varieties, either dwarfs or compact determinants that generally do not grow taller than 2-4 ft in full sun. That height will be increased somewhat when growing under lights, but growing in containers will stunt them a little and it should even out.

What lights are you using? 1000 Watt HIDs?

tcarroll
Newly Registered

One Sunleaves VIII and one 400 watt MH.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”