nes
Green Thumb

Plants for next year

I am prepared to duck from the tomatoes that will inevitably be hurled at me after this comment :lol: I actually HATE raw tomatoes. Always have, I just can't eat them, occasionally if they are bathed in oil & vinegar in a salad I might nibble at some if they are firm, but I hate the gooshy texture.

So I'm picking tomatoes to grow for next year for sauces & ketchups, I need some suggestions. I supposed I could try a well flavoured and FIRM tomato to try and eat plain - but no promises!

I would prefer determinate plants because they are easier for me to grow with my current set up- but I think I'm going to make hubby put in a proper fence for me for next year.

I'm looking at plants like Amish Paste, or Black Plum.

I want one each of early, mid & late season plants if possible.

Do Cossack Pineapple Ground Cherry actually taste like pineapples? Or like a tomato with pineapple juice on it? :?

Tx

Zofiava

My husband hates tomatoes, he likes salsas and sauce and ketchup... as long as the chunks aren't too big.

I wish he would at least TRY to like tomatoes like you are!

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

I remember when I was kid, growing up in Russia, while truly great tasty tomatoes were plenty - somehow I don't recall enjoying them at all. But the more time I spent in the country during the summer breaks, the more I've gotten to accustom eating them.

30 something years later - I don't understand how could I have not loved those fruits!

Nes - Enjoy the page after page after page of Paste Type tomatoes:

[url]https://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Category:Paste_Tomatoes[/url]

Regards,
D

nes
Green Thumb

Noooo! I need less choices not more!! :lol:

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Don't feel bad, the guy who runs Sandhill Preservation Center, one of the best sources for heirloom tomato seeds, doesn't like to eat fresh tomatoes either, which puts a damper on flavor descriptions.

For Catsup, an obvious choice would be Heinz 1439, a determinant. For an all around determinant you can't go wrong with an old standby like Rutgers. For sauce, many people rave about Coustoluto Genovese, but it is not a determinant, and Opalka tops many lists as a favorite paste tomato. Many people like San Marzano, a Roma type, enough that it has its own Wikipedia page. Be aware that Roma type plum tomatoes are prone to blossom end rot so you could loose a large proportion of your early season harvest. For large production and good sauce flavor you might want to check out Heidi.

Why do you want a determinant? Are you limited to smaller plants? early season plants, or do you have to make all of your sauce within a short time period.

nes
Green Thumb

I originally wanted determinate because my garden runs sort of SE to NW and the fence is on the south side, so allot of vines would obscure the sun-light. However, we've changed plans and we're going to put in a proper fence on the North/West sides (there is a shed on the east). As well we're putting in a backyard fence (eventually!) and I've decided I'm going to grow on that too!

So I've got W, N & E sides of the fence all full-sun for a plethora of squash, tomatoes & cukes (we've already picked out at least 3 varieties of pumpkins too!). None on the S side because that would be the cow-paddock side & they'll just eat them! :D

Thanks for the suggestions TZ I'll definitely have a look into those guys. Right now I'm thinking I'd really like to get some heirloom seeds, but I'm worried about their disease resistance, I don't want high-maintenance tomatoes! :lol:

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Not all indeterminants grow to be 10 ft high. My Cherokee Purple, Black Krim and Earl of Edgecomb barely make it to the top of my 5 ft cages when grown next to 8-10 ft plants.

The diseases that hybrids are resistant to are soil born things like wilts and nematodes, which tend to show up after several years of growing tomatos in an area, and you have to know what diseases you have and then match the hybrid to that (disease resistant hybrids have letters after the name (e.g.VFN) to show what they are resistant to (verticillium wilt, fusarium wilt, nematodes). Almost every body gets some foliage fungal disease such as septoria spot, early blight and late blight. Hybrids do not have resistance to these bred into them so it is a junk shoot which varieties will be hit hard just like it is with heirlooms. Rutgers and Heinz were grown commercially for decades so they are probably not wimpy in regards to leaf diseases. If you want to try heirlooms ask around on some different forums about disease resistance for those varieties before you buy, and grow multiple varieties so if one gets hit hard you will have others that don't. For instance yellow pear rarely makes it to the end of the season for many people because it loves to get sick.

Good luck with it

nes
Green Thumb

Thanks SO much for the info TZ!!

Man now I have to pick some Tomatoes :D Ahhhh!! Good thing I have until the spring & lots of laid-up time being preggo! :lol:

RickNC

That's crazy. I used to get in trouble as a kid. I would pick them off and suck out the insides. I still love raw tomatoes.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:Here is a discussion that might help

https://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tomato/msg0900160716633.html?39
Thanks for a nice read and good to hear some opinions on variety of tomatoes, specially the early varieties!

Regards,
D

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Roma tomtoes are great for sauces, soup, juice, stew, etc. If you put plenty of lime in your soil you will never have blossom end rot. I planted a whole row of Roma this year 16 plants. I canned 100 pint jars and 11 quart jars of Roma to be used in Chili, vegatable soup, stew, etc this winter. I made a very good batch of spagetti sauce a few days ago with Roma. It makes very tasty tomato juice too. There are several varieties of Roma some are very small the size of cherry tomatoes I like the larger 4 ounce size. I picked about 100 Roma tomatoes an hour ago I don't know yet what I will do with these.

applestar
Mod

Nes, how are you? I'm dredging up this thread to talk about paste tomatoes. :D

I'm interested in Heirloom varieties. I was thinking Polish Linguisa. Others under consideration are Black Plum (Pear?) vs. Japanese Trifele Black. Another one I have on deck is Bellstar.

Amish Paste vs. Polish Linguisa? Also Yellow Bell (SESE)?

Any thoughts?

A side note: I grew at least 6, but more likely 10 Bellstar transplants last year, but somehow, I managed to give away most of them, mislabeled another, etc. and somehow was left with only one plant growing in my garden. It did pretty well -- an early producer -- but I didn't get enough fruits to judge its sauce-worthiness. I'll try again this year with, hopefully, better results.

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Apple,

I'm actually planning doing more pickling and making a paste/sauces this year, so I will have few paste varieties to grow out.

Black Pear - is different than Black Plum. Black Pear is actually the canning/paste type, 4-6oz average size. Where Black Plum is a small, salad type, with much more juice, average size about 2oz.

Japanese Trifele - is said to be a great tasting slicer/canner/paste, a co-worker grew them out this year, very nice flavor. I thought it was great all purpose tomato with lots of flavor (at least in her garden) I just sliced them or eat fresh of her vine.

Another one I'm considering is Cream Sausage. I think it would make a great, unique color sauce.

Will be glad to hear about other tasty paste/canning varieties anyone wants to mention.

Regards,
D

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”