Tinybu88les8

Tomato trimming?

So Ive read that the tops of tomato plants can be cut off. My plants have reached about 6 feet and are falling over and over crowding everybody. Its a mess. This is my first garden and everything is producing and I'm very happy with the results....I just don't know what to do about these plants! Theres tomatoes growing all over them but none to harvest yet. Can I cut the tops off? What about extra branches hanging around? Ive also read about cutting below the line...? Something like that. Can somebody help a lil greenhorn out? :)

wolfie

Hello, I am not all that experienced, however on my plants, I tend to cut off wherever there is no tomato's growing because I plant my stuff really close together... so if a brance is not producing, I cut it off... just my .02!

Tinybu88les8

OKay. My veggies are all too close together too. I have a TON of tomatoes growing so thats not really an option. I was thinking if I cut just the top off (I will lose some tomatoes but small babies that just started) at least they wont be falling over blocking sun from my bell peppers, green beans, habaneros and jalapenos... I guess Ill keep researching until someone responds. Thanks for your help though! much appreciated. I might just do that where I can.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes if your plants are that big, you definitely can be pinching out the growing tips. You don't need to cut much off, just the very tips where it is growing. That will slow it down from keeping on getting bigger and encourage it to focus more on fruit.

You talk about them falling over. Do you not have them staked or caged? Without that they will definitely just sprawl on the ground. Some people do grow them that way, but it won't work with a crowded garden like you are describing.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”