tomatoplant123
Newly Registered

planting tomatoes help

Hello, I am very new to this. This is my first time ever growing a plant of any kind. So, I'm sorry if these questions have obvious answers. I just bought three tomato plants. they are all about a foot or over. I don't have a garden bed or anything like that. So, I am planning on digging up a little area in my yard to put them in. My questions are: How much do I dig, how deep? Should I buy soil from the store becauce I'm not sure how to tell the quality of the soil in my yard? If so how much soil do I need? also I read a lot about using compost. Do I mix the compost in with the soil and how much do I use? I don't really get all of this. also I was told to get miracle grow and a root stimulator. I need some sort of explanation of how to use all of this stuff. another thing is the watering. am I suppose to water them every day? if someone could answer any of these questions I would greatly appreciate it. thanks.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener.

There is a "sticky" (always at the top of the list) thread on how to grow tomatoes at:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6809

We've had lots of discussions recently about these topics, and many of our members are either at work or out in the garden right now. I hope this information will tide you over and help you dig around in the forum for what you need.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

2cents
Green Thumb

Tomatoes can be very forgiving.
If it is a first time, you may want to;
dig up a 2 foot square for each plant. And 12 inches deep to loosen the soil(they are a deep rooted plant). Plant them as deep as possible until it just feels too weird. No such thing as planting tomatoes too deep, as long as there is some of the top of the plant sticking out of the dirt.
Nothing else required but water them if the look limp.(check them daily)

Of course there are ways to get better production, but this should work for a first time.

Next year after reading more, talking to neighbors, and having a year of experience you can be more creative and do more composting, mulching, and amending, also selective about plants.

Good gardening.

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”